Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABoutyrski

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a senior in high school and will be attending a community college next year. My goal is to attend the USC school of dentistry. However, I do not want to spend 5 years finishing my biology degree. I had a meeting with a counselor at Pierce CC and he said that people rarely transfer to a 4 year university under a biology major in 2 years. There are just so many chemistry classes I have to take. I counted 6 (possibly 5 if I ace the assessment). And I have no problem taking more classes than full time (17 units instead of 12). The problem here is that each chem class is a prerequisite to the next so i cannot take more than one chem class per semester. What should I do? I only want to spend 2 years at a CC. Should i choose another major? If so, what would be good for dentistry? My plan is to become a dentist and hopefully within 8 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not skip the community college and just go to a university to begin with?

Why not skip the community college and just go to a university to begin with?
Ah well I did not feel like my high school GPA/ SATs were high enough (2.9 gpa and 1890 SAT).

Members don't see this ad :)
First thing I would do is change your goals from getting into the "USC School of Dentistry" and "becoming a dentist in 8 years" to getting into dental school anywhere and becoming a dentist period respectively. After that I would try and take as many prereq's as you can at a university level. You can transfer at anytime so I would just take the core classes at a CC and instead just spend one year there before transferring to a university and continuing the prereqs. It'll look better if as many as you can are taken at a University.

Ah well I did not feel like my high school GPA/ SATs were high enough (2.9 gpa and 1890 SAT).

Then go to the community college for one year, get 30 credits @ a gpa of 4.0, then transfer.

First thing I would do is change your goals from getting into the "USC School of Dentistry" and "becoming a dentist in 8 years" to getting into dental school anywhere and becoming a dentist period respectively. After that I would try and take as many prereq's as you can at a university level. You can transfer at anytime so I would just take the core classes at a CC and instead just spend one year there before transferring to a university and continuing the prereqs. It'll look better if as many as you can are taken at a University.
Well i agree, USC is my goal but I would be satisfied with any dental school really. What are some majors (other than biology) that i can look into? I would like the find a major that has most of the requirements a dental school has.

Well i agree, USC is my goal but I would be satisfied with any dental school really. What are some majors (other than biology) that i can look into? I would like the find a major that has most of the requirements a dental school has.

My former dentist has a degree in zoology, and current dentist only has his DDS. Really, you can major in anything, and hit up the prerequisites on the way.

Biology is the best major for what you're looking for. I would just stick with it. You can choose any major that interests you but if you want preparation for dental school and one that gives you a better chance at a good GPA then it's Biology all the way. The classes are in no way easy but they are easier than a Math or Chem or Engineering major

At this pace you will have premature gray hair. Why not take one day at a time. There is a world of difference between hs and college. Why not wait and get your feet wet before you find yourself fit to be tied.

Biology is the best major for what you're looking for. I would just stick with it. You can choose any major that interests you but if you want preparation for dental school and one that gives you a better chance at a good GPA then it's Biology all the way. The classes are in no way easy but they are easier than a Math or Chem or Engineering major
Yeah, its just that in order to transfer from my CC with a biology major, you need 6 chem classes (and many others) and I dont think there is anyway i can take all of that in 2 years.

Yeah, its just that in order to transfer from my CC with a biology major, you need 6 chem classes (and many others) and I dont think there is anyway i can take all of that in 2 years.

Then declare general academics, and switch your major to biology after you transfer.

At this pace you will have premature gray hair. Why not take one day at a time. There is a world of difference between hs and college. Why not wait and get your feet wet before you find yourself fit to be tied.
Well, I want to graduate and start my career as soon as possible. I also do not want to be left behind when all my friends graduate from med/dental school and start their careers. There is also competition betwenn my brother and I. I would just like to finish as soon as possible.

I am so confused about what you're trying to do at your CC. Where do you get 6 chem classes from. You only need 2 Gen chem, 2 O chem, and 1 biochem total. Thats 5 and I'm sure CC's don't even offer biochem IF they offer the O chems. So confused...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so confused about what you're trying to do at your CC. Where do you get 6 chem classes from. You only need 2 Gen chem, 2 O chem, and 1 biochem total. Thats 5 and I'm sure CC's don't even offer biochem IF they offer the O chems. So confused...
Well okay at my CC we have to take the following classes to transfer as a bio major: Bio 6,7,40,46. Chem 101,102, 211, 212, 221 ( and I have to take chem 60 as a prereq for 101), Physics 66,67,101,102,103, stats 1. I know that every college has a different title for their course.

Well okay at my CC we have to take the following classes to transfer as a bio major: Bio 6,7,40,46. Chem 101,102, 211, 212, 221 ( and I have to take chem 60 as a prereq for 101), Physics 66,67,101,102,103, stats 1. I know that every college has a different title for their course.

In the real world, the community college doesn't tell you when you can transfer. Call the University you are wanting to attend and see what they say.

I wouldn't follow their script. Just do what you want. I would look at your universitie's core classes like english, history, government, art, and stuff like that and take classes at your CC that transfer to those core requirements at your university. If you want the throw in gen chem 1 or gen bio 1 then do it. Basically when you transfer to your university you don't want to have to mess with the lame basic classes and focus on your sciences. At least thats my advice.

That is to transfer directly into the school of biological sciences. Just transfer, then get into the school.

That is to transfer directly into the school of biological sciences. Just transfer, then get into the school.
Im a bit confused, I chose bio because it's classes are closely related to the dental school. If i apply for another major for undergrad after CC then I will have the take the required courses for dental school in the last 2 years and I want to take them early so I can get well prepped for the DATs.

Im a bit confused, I chose bio because it's classes are closely related to the dental school. If i apply for another major for undergrad after CC then I will have the take the required courses for dental school in the last 2 years and I want to take them early so I can get well prepped for the DATs.

Take your science classes, but transfer into the University under another major so you can get in quicker. From there, continue your science classes, and change your major to biology.

Yeah you're really confused and so am I as to what you're doing. I have even done the CC thing so I understand basically how it works even though there may be small differences by state.

What University are you trying to transfer into?

Take your science classes, but transfer into the University under another major so you can get in quicker. From there, continue your science classes, and change your major to biology.
Hmm, I guess I can try that. Ill talk to some counselors because I will need them to walk me through the process. Thank you for helping me =). If anyone else has any advice, please let me know. Because I have been depressed recently once I found out that I will need to spend 3 years at a CC. That was not in my plans at all.

Yeah you're really confused and so am I as to what you're doing. I have even done the CC thing so I understand basically how it works even though there may be small differences by state.
Well, what did you do with ur CC/transfer? Maybe i can do the same?

Well, I want to graduate and start my career as soon as possible. I also do not want to be left behind when all my friends graduate from med/dental school and start their careers. There is also competition betwenn my brother and I. I would just like to finish as soon as possible.

Hmmm... So this is about competing with your brother and your friends and not about a love for dentistry. Unless you have a crystal ball, only time will tell who will have succeeded in achieving those stated goals.

Hmmm... So this is about competing with your brother and your friends and not about a love for dentistry. Unless you have a crystal ball, only time will tell who will have succeeded in achieving those stated goals.
Well this is actually about my love for dentistry. What i meant by competition is that I would like to start working around the same time they do. I mean it really isnt that important. It is just a coincidence that they are all joining the medical field also.

Hello aboutyrski, I would suggest that you go ahead and apply for some 4 year universities instead of community college because there are some dental schools that do not accept credits from community colleges. Your grades are not the highest but I am certain you can find a 4 year college that will accept you. Good luck with everything. Hang in there, I know you have what it takes to do it since you made the necessary step to come on SDN and seek assistance.

Hello aboutyrski, I would suggest that you go ahead and apply for some 4 year universities instead of community college because there are some dental schools that do not accept credits from community colleges. Your grades are not the highest but I am certain you can find a 4 year college that will accept you. Good luck with everything. Hang in there, I know you have what it takes to do it since you made the necessary step to come on SDN and seek assistance.
Thank you for the response, however, I am a senior in high school at the moment and it is too late to apply for any schools :(. So i guess i am stuck with CC. This time in my life is just very stressful because my future depends on this decision. Hmm, if some dental schools do not accept CC credits, what should I do?

Thank you for the response, however, I am a senior in high school at the moment and it is too late to apply for any schools :(. So i guess i am stuck with CC. This time in my life is just very stressful because my future depends on this decision. Hmm, if some dental schools do not accept CC credits, what should I do?

You are young so this is what I would advise you to do. Go ahead and enter CC and take a science curriculum, then transfer from there to a 4 year institution after your first year. That will keep you in the runnings providing your credits are accepted. Do not worry about what your friends are doing, half of them will not make it through college, the other half will switch their majors and a select few will enter professional school (from experience), but don't focus on the time just do what needs to be done NOW! Take it one day at a time as doc toothache said. Good luck!

You are young so this is what I would advise you to do. Go ahead and enter CC and take a science curriculum, then transfer from there to a 4 year institution after your first year. That will keep you in the runnings providing your credits are accepted. Do not worry about what your friends are doing, half of them will not make it through college, the other half will switch their majors and a select few will enter professional school (from experience), but don't focus on the time just do what needs to be done NOW! Take it one day at a time as doc toothache said. Good luck!
Oh okay, well thank you for your help. Just one more thing though, UCLA and all of the other UC schools do not accept 30 unit/1 year transfers. USC is a private school so they do, however USC costs around 50,000 a year where as UCLA and other UCs cost around 23,000. What would you suggest i do if I decide to go to a UC school? or is it worth taking the loans out for 50,000 a year?

Well, what did you do with ur CC/transfer? Maybe i can do the same?

To make a long story short I've taken more than half my prereqs at a CC and am now transferring to a university to finish my prereqs and bust out all the upper level bio courses to complete my biology degree. All of the core classes have been taken at my CC where I'm closer to home and it's cheaper. I wouldn't really recommend what I've done however because prereqs at a CC don't look very good. I've gotten in touch with some of the DS here in Texas and they say it's fine but I have to get solid grades in my upper level science classes AT the university I'm attending PLUS a solid DAT score to really be competitive. Thats alot of pressure for just taking the prereqs at a CC. I've gotten all A's in these classes but it just doesn't mean as much when it's not at a University

With that said, the CC is not going to kill you and I've kind of enjoyed it. I feel that I've gotten a very good education and a solid background in theses science classes. I would just recommend getting to a University as fast as you can and the CC is actually a pretty good tool, especially for core classes that Dentals Schools don't care about. They're just a number in your cumulative GPA

To make a long story short I've taken more than half my prereqs at a CC and am now transferring to a university to finish my prereqs and bust out all the upper level bio courses to complete my biology degree. All of the core classes have been taken at my CC where I'm closer to home and it's cheaper. I wouldn't really recommend what I've done however because prereqs at a CC don't look very good. I've gotten in touch with some of the DS here in Texas and they say it's fine but I have to get solid grades in my upper level science classes AT the university I'm attending PLUS a solid DAT score to really be competitive. Thats alot of pressure for just taking the prereqs at a CC. I've gotten all A's in these classes but it just doesn't mean as much when it's not at a University

With that said, the CC is not going to kill you and I've kind of enjoyed it. I feel that I've gotten a very good education and a solid background in theses science classes. I would just recommend getting to a University as fast as you can and the CC is actually a pretty good tool, especially for core classes that Dentals Schools don't care about. They're just a number in your cumulative GPA

oh okay, I was thinking about majoring in Bio. however, after meeting with a counselor at my CC, she made it seem like it is impossible to transfer with a bio major in 2 years because there are so many chem classes you have to take. (5) So, just to confirm, you transfered after 2 years?

oh okay, I was thinking about majoring in Bio. however, after meeting with a counselor at my CC, she made it seem like it is impossible to transfer with a bio major in 2 years because there are so many chem classes you have to take. (5) So, just to confirm, you transfered after 2 years?

It's possible if you take 4 course each semester with a couple more during summer session.

My girlfriend goes to pierce, so I'm very familiar with the college.

If you want to transfer to UCLA, you need 60 transferable credits by spring.
This becomes complicated when your placement for English and Math is lower than English 101 and Math 260. You gotta take additional classes in those categories, and it takes away 2~3 classes for most of CC students.
This is why many need 3 years to transfer.

If you have taken the placement exam already, and had standing of English 101 and Math 260, you can go ahead take 4 classes each semester and probably transfer in 2 years.

As someone said before, it's up to the university you transfer to to determine if you've met the requirements to come in. I was in the same boat as you before. I was going to a California CC and the counselors there wrote my courseplan to take chemistry all the way up through Ochem at the CC. Their generic guides for each major also showed taking every course possible until transfer. You have to understand that they want you to take those courses there so they can get your money and not the university. CA public universities have a standard set up in order to transfer in as a junior, you can complete the CSU Breadth or IGETC. I'm sure you've heard of these. Do the IGETC. If you complete all of the sections of IGETC, and some of the additional coursework in your major, you can transfer to a UC as a junior. It's nearly impossible to complete IGETC and all of the core courses that the CC offers. You just need to take enough of those courses associated with your major to show that you're at an acceptable level. Many people take Ochem as a junior at the university, so it wouldn't be unusual for you to transfer without completing that entire chemistry plan that your CC gave you. Just complete the equivalent of general chem. At the same time, take every transferable bio course your CC offers (and the univ requires). Delay physics until after you transfer too. That should allow you to complete IGETC and nearly all lower division science coursework, without taking more than 16 or so units per semester. It's a shame CC counselors slow high achieving students down with bad courseplans. I don't know if it's ignorance or greed.

By the way, which high school did you go to?
GHCHS? Chatsworth? Reseda? Taft? Cleveland?

By the way, which high school did you go to?
GHCHS? Chatsworth? Reseda? Taft? Cleveland?

I am currently finishing up Taft high school. And I took the placement test but I was placed in English 28. However, I am going to take English 28 at pierce during this summer so by the time i enroll full time into pierce I will be in 101. And as far as math goes, I am hoping to be placed into 261 because I am going to study for the placement exam. Worst case scenario I get placed into 260.