Need Advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ct1010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help with career planning in dentistry. I have a very low GPA for my bachelor degree (Chemistry/Biochem. concentration). I would really want to become a dentist but I am not sure what path I should follow on. Do you think I should take some random biology courses to improve my gpa or get into a Masters program where I can improve my GPA and get a 2nd degree??

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how far along you are in your degree.
After so many classes, it becomes really hard to raise your degree by much.
If you are pretty far along in your degree, you would be better served to get a masters.

Thanks for the reply Dan. I actually received my degree in may of 2006. Since then I have been working as a Chemist in a pharmaceutical. But now I would like to follow my orginal dream, become a dentist. I don't know if I should study for the DAT and see how well I do or should I concentrate mainly on raising the GPA by either taking some random biology courses (immunology, genetics, molecular biology and etc.) or getting a M.A. in biology or biotechnology or something related to the biology?

CT, what this answer really depends on is your GPA. If it is sub 3.0, you have a LOT of work to do. Likely this will involve 2 or more years of school. Since you didn't give a GPA and may not want to for personal reasons, here are my thoughts for what it is worth.

1. If your GPA is CLOSE to a 3.0, an MS is a good way to go. The GPA will be counted independent of your undergraduate GPA but then you will have a fall back degree if you don't get into dental school or while you are trying to. An MS with a GPA >3.5 will look good IF your DAT scores with this low uGPA are better than 21.

2. If your GPA is WELL below 3.0 and your ONLY goal is to get into dental school, I would personally take a LOT of post bacc courses because that counts as your undergrad GPA. You can raise it this way so you will be more competitive but you won't have the masters or additional research planning to hold onto.

The most important thing with sub par stats is to do VERY VERY well on your DAT... probably nothing less than a 21 will do unless your GPA is not truly as bad as you are making it out to be.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to you.