USMLE Need advise for Step 2 CK & CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodvibes27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m a non-US IMG, and I’ve given step 1 (215-220, not the most thrilling score one can receive)

I’m planning to give the CS exam around 2/3 months before CK, because I’ll be fresh out of some USCE and I feel that I need to redeem myself in CK, so I’d like a bit more time for that. But I’ve got some advice saying that’s it’s safer to give CS after CK. I’m not sure what to do. Any advice would be helpful!

Also, how’s the Atlanta center for IMGs? Is there any truth in the rumours that some centers are tougher on IMGs. Right now, for the dates I want, the only options I have are LA, Philly, and Atlanta.

Looking forward to your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I am a non US IMG myself but from a medical school which sends dozens of residents to the US every year mainly in IM. So from the experience of seeing many of my peers go through the whole process, I have reached a conclusion that for IMGs, the best idea is to take CS AFTER you have taken the step 2 CK. I know you may have the temptation to take CS first because this way you will be fresh from US clinicals. But it doesn't really matter IMO. Most IMGs that I have seen fail the step 2 CS didn't fail the SEP (spoken proficiency) and CIP (communication and interpersonal skills) components anyway. These are the components that you want yourself to be fresh from US clinicals for. They failed the ICE component (integrated clinical encounter) where you process patient info and make differentials based on that and write appropriate work up. Now this is precisely the kind of knowledge that CK prep will help you master. So from my experience, taking step 2 CK first is the best way to ace the ICE component. And the other two components can be prepared for by a thorough timed practice with a study partner such that even if you were 2 years out from clinicals you would still be able to do good enough to clear the other two components (language proficiency and interpersonal skills). And even if you had taken CS already and the prioritisation between CS and CK was not an issue, I would have still strongly advised against delaying CK after step 1, because step 2 CK study directly builds on step 1 material and it helps so much not to have to keep looking up drug mechanisms and pathophysio all the time because the knowledge from step one can evaporate to a fair degree after several months. So I think taking CK first is better for performance on both step 2 ck and step 2 CS. And as far as choice of centres is concerned, there is this trend at my school too that chicago and houston are student favourites and people like to avoid philly and Atlanta. Don't know exactly why. A lot of people who do rotations on the west coast take the test at LA however and are happy with their experience.

Hi! The reason why I was planning to take CS first was because I wanted to get my score in time for applications this year and I will have a little chunk of time just to focus on the prep itself. I understand why CK would be better to do first, it’s safer and makes more sense to do so. I didn’t want any exam score to be pending when I apply, but obviously it’s better to be safe and pass. Okay I'll have to think about this for a day or so, and make a decision.
Regarding which center, I didn’t know people liked to avoid Atlanta too! Ahhh!
Thanks so much for helping out. I needed someone else’s perspective besides my own!

Alright. Best of luck. Yes that's understandably an inportant factor too; having all scores available by the match application that (for IMGs in particular). However you will pass CS, God willing, even if you take that first. You have done step 1 and have a knowledge base. Just spend a couple of weeks conditioning yourself with a study partner in person or via Skype doing timed practice before you take the test. And practice typing notes too in timed fashion. And you will pass. I believe you do this and you can smash step 2 CS. And again CK too if you do it afterwards it might take a little more effort but there is no reason to believe you won't do well. So in summary: I believe you can ace both exams no matter what order you take them in. God bless you.

Yes I shall surely practice each part well, and shall keep your tips in mind. Thanks so much for the kind words! Good luck to you too!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I shall surely practice each part well, and shall keep your tips in mind. Thanks so much for the kind words! Good luck to you too!
Hello,

I am also a IMG from India. I took my CS already and I’m studying for my CK now. I thought the cs was better to do before because I already had the clinical experience down. I think it’s really upto you how you want to do it.

On a side note I’m currently looking for a study partner just to discuss UWorld questions with to get a different perspective I plan on giving my test in April. Would you consider video chatting to review questions?

Hello All,

This may seem unusual, but I am really worried about my overall percentage on Uworld. It is my first run and I haven't used any resources before this, and I am somewhere around the 70th percentile. My UW step 1 first run was like in the 50s. Is it possible that I am just getting most answers right straight out of luck as opposed to a good knowledge base?