need advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the MCAT in august and did not do well. i am planning to take it again in april and am planning to take a semester off from school to prepare for it. my question is, if i do withdraw from school for one semester to prepare for the MCAT, will medical schools look down on me when it comes to applying?

Members don't see this ad.

They'll consider the fact that you did certainly, but in terms of it having any sort of major impact on their decisions...most likely not. They almost all want a detailed explaination of ANY break in your education, though.

Schools will not view your decision to dedicate an entire semester to preparation for the MCAT favorably. I had a discussion with the admissions coordinator at the University of Florida COM and was told that I would be expected to both prepare for the MCAT and fill my spare time with additional activities. If you dedicate all your time to MCAT preparation, schools will expect phenominal scores.

If you don't take classes, you should at least involve yourself in numerous EC activities. Essentially, you want to try to simulate the life of a med student (schools want to see that you can both work/study and excel).

I was in the same boat last year. Things are looking better. Good luck!

IF you take a semester off, make use of it. at least do some volunteerig or something so u can turn ur semester off into something that the adcom will think is more meaningful than prepping for mcats. unfortunately, i think adcoms expect us to do everything while there isn't always time to do it.