Need DO Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davidko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice whether or not I should apply to DOs this cycle...Applied to 23 MD programs this cycle, 8 rejections so far, 1 "interview wait list" and still waiting for the rest.

About me:
California applicant, disadvantaged student
Science GPA: 3.44, non-science 3.5
MCAT: 26--->28
currently working full time as an EMT
average/above average: extracurricular/shadowing/volunteer work/research/LOR

My dilemma:
1. I don't have a DO LOR...I am currently looking for a DO to shadow and hopefully one who would write me a decent LOR
2. It also seems to me to be pretty late in the cycle...

Is it worth the time and money to still apply? Or would it be a wasted effort?

Members don't see this ad.

Need advice whether or not I should apply to DOs this cycle...Applied to 23 MD programs this cycle, 8 rejections so far, 1 "interview wait list" and still waiting for the rest.

About me:

My dilemma:
1. I don't have a DO LOR...I am currently looking for a DO to shadow and hopefully one who would write me a decent LOR

what does disadvantaged student mean? Yes to any of the following? URM? Received FAP? Received Pell Grants?

I would think your GPA and MCAT are pretty standard/competitive for DO admissions.

Mass email local DOs in your area for shadowing. If you can connect with one quickly, kick it off with them really well, and get a LOR within 4 weeks AND complete the DO primary application by the time you receive your LOR, I think you'll be fine.

Won't be the same as those having applied in July/August... But it definitely wouldn't be 100% hopeless.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

About me:

My dilemma:

You should have applied DO, even if it was for backup. Your stats are below average for MD applicants, and it would've been a long shot to gain acceptance there.

If you need to apply DO, do it very soon, because it is starting to become late.

what does disadvantaged student mean? Yes to any of the following? URM? Received FAP? Received Pell Grants?

I would think your GPA and MCAT are pretty standard/competitive for DO admissions.

Economically disadvantaged, from an immigrant family of 9, Yes to FAP and PellGrant, first gen college student.

Reactions: 1 user
Some DO schools will accept a DO or MD letter (NSUCOM and PCOM off the top of my head but there are others if you just look at admissions pages).

Not all schools require a letter from a DO, my letter came from an MD and I still received an acceptance nonetheless. Find out which ones don't and apply to those immediately and in the meantime, start looking for a DO that is willing to write you a letter on such short notice ASAP.