Need Elective Scheduling Advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clopidogrhelin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm an IMG (from one of the top 5 Caribbean schools) about to finish my 3rd year in August. I won't be applying for the match this year as I want to be able to apply with a complete application (I wouldn't have my CK scores in and I probably wouldn't have even taken CS by the time applications open this year). I am fairly certain that I want to go into psych, but if not psych, I wouldn't mind IM/FM.

I need some advice on scheduling. Since I have so much time in btw, I don't know if I should take time off in btw electives with research also between electives, and graduate in 2020 ,or if I should go straight through, graduate in 2019 and apply for the 2020 match, spending the time after 4th year to do research.

I also wanted opinions on what electives to take. Initially, I was thinking 75% psych electives with maybe one or two IM electives. However, I was looking at a psych program website earlier and it actually said on there that they discourage this as they would prefer a more well-rounded medical education. Is this typical?? I thought programs would like to see interest and experience?

For reference, I have a 220 on Step 1. Not the most competitive score, but I've done exceptionally well in 3rd year and honored/HP every rotation. Hoping for a good Step 2 score. I've made connections with some of the psych attendings I've worked with during my core rotation and I expect to make a better impression on IM attendings during electives.

Members don't see this ad.