Would appreciate any feedback you guys have regarding my disadvantaged essay! Some location/names have been replaced for privacy (marked with brackets).
Thanks a bunch!
"My dad left when I was in second grade. Two years later, my mom, sister, and I immigrated to [America] to join my uncle for a fresh start. My mom, who was a teacher in [a foreign country], couldn't find any jobs except as janitor at a laundromat. Even though our financial status qualified us for low income health insurance ([government insurance policy name]), the limited acceptance of the insurance policy and language barrier prevented us from seeking medical attention except under dire times like when my forearm fractured.
While my dad agreed to provide minimal child support, I wanted to be independent and make my mom proud. Therefore, I started working part time with my uncle at his carpentry jobs starting middle school and through high school.
While my mom was busy at work, my sister and I struggled through school and maintaining our home. My first year of college was tainted by a lack of discipline which I later developed when I became interested in medicine. Aside from my [school name] jobs, I also held private tutoring sessions for organic chemistry and biology throughout college to support myself and share the financial burden with my family.
Despite these obstacles, I learned how to balance the various responsibilities I now have, as well as seeking out any resources and support needed to persevere through the difficulties."