Need for sub I if honors in medicine clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hepato

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school does not have a sub I requirement. I've been told that if you're going into medicine, honor the medicine clerkship as an MS3, and don't need any more letters, then it's ok to not take a sub I, or to take it after applications are in.

Do most programs expect to see a sub I grade? Would it be a red flag to not have one? I've checked residency websites and haven't been finding a clear answer.

Members don't see this ad.

My school does not have a sub I requirement. I've been told that if you're going into medicine, honor the medicine clerkship as an MS3, and don't need any more letters, then it's ok to not take a sub I, or to take it after applications are in.

Do most programs expect to see a sub I grade? Would it be a red flag to not have one? I've checked residency websites and haven't been finding a clear answer.

even if you honor it most schools expect it. i would just take it early and get honors. i didn't have a letter from my sub-i, but did have the grade, so it wasn't a big deal.

It definitely helps. I've been asked about my sub-I grade at about two or three of my interviews and they make a point to mark it down.

IMO and from experience it won't matter all that much when applying. 3rd year grades are much more important as every applicant will have a grade and there is at least some standardization. Not everyone will have a sub-I and some schools do not just hand out honors to everyone in that rotation. So programs can't really compare people from separate school's sub-I grades.

I suggest doing a sub-I early regardless because it is the perfect rotation to get a great LOR regardless of your grade. A good grade in the sub-I and/or a strong letter from that rotation can help to offset other deficiencies in your app (like your 3rd year grade, step 1, etc).

FWIW no one mentioned any of my grades or board scores during an interview (both of which were very good overall). The major specific comments were about my strong LORs.