Need help finalizing school list!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jancutie15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CA resident.
GPA: 3.92, BCPM should be close to 3.90
MCAT: VR 10, PS 11, BS 12, Q
120 hours of volunteering
1 year of research
2 years of tutoring
Taking a year off for working, traveling and more clinical volunteering
Here is my list of schools, please tell me which ones I should add or take out:

UC Davis
UC irvine
UC San Diego
UC SF
UCLA
USC

George Washington Univ.
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Univ of Chicago - not sure
Mayo
Boston univ
Tufts Univ
St. Louis
Dartmouth
Albany Medical College
Einstein College
NYU
SUNY Downstate
Wake Forest
Case Western - not sure
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Temple - not sure
Brown univ. - not sure

Vanderbilt
UNiv of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Florida International Univ
Tulane
Wayne State - not sure
Univ of Cincinnati
NY Medical College - not sure; they get a lot of applications

Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Mt.Sinai - not sure whether I should apply because of my MCAT score.

I appreciate all of you guys help since I need to submit my AMCAS soon.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With those stats, I honestly feel you could apply anywhere since they should get you through the door. But at top schools (like those you listed at the bottom), your personal statement, LORs and ECs will be key. They'll need to be top notch since they get so many applicants with great stats - even better than yours (i.e., 35+ MCAT). If nothing in your app really stands out, you may easily get rejected from the top schools in your list. That said, I still think you should apply to as many as you can afford.

I'd like to think you'll get an acceptance in CA, but it's such an unpredictable thing, so you'll really need back-ups as well. You've got a very broad list. If you've got the dough and the time to do the secondaries, I'd say apply to them all! But if you want to cut some off, keep in mind that the schools that get deluged with the most apps are GW, Georgetown and BU. You've got great stats for those schools though, so if you apply early you very well may get an invite despite the gobs of applications they receive. If you've got some international or health care policy ECs or interests, GW is always on the lookout for those in particular.

Anyway, submit the best (and earliest) apps you can, and see where the chips fall. I think you'll definitely have some good options. :luck: