Need help from anki experts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waytogo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi anki experts
I'm using Zanki to study along with class, and I want to study what I covered in class that day.
Is there any way I can study specific topics first in the deck?
So for instance, I do 100 new cards a day, and if I covered EKGs in class, I want to do EKG related new cards first. Is there anyway to arrange the order of new cards like this?

(I know there is a way to tag the cards and do custom study. But I don't want to do that because that won't count into my reviews.)

I've been trying to figure this out last night and it's been really bugging me.
Please help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

(I know there is a way to tag the cards and do custom study. But I don't want to do that because that won't count into my reviews.)

Custom study will count towards your reviews if you select "New cards" or "Due cards" as the state tag when creating the custom study session. The only time it doesn't count them towards your reviews is if you select "All cards in random order (cram mode)". I suspect you have been selecting cram mode. That's why they weren't counting.

Custom study will count towards your reviews if you select "New cards" or "Due cards" as the state tag when creating the custom study session. The only time it doesn't count them towards your reviews is if you select "All cards in random order (cram mode)". I suspect you have been selecting cram mode. That's why they weren't counting.
That's...not the setting you want to change.
Hi anki experts
I'm using Zanki to study along with class, and I want to study what I covered in class that day.
Is there any way I can study specific topics first in the deck?
So for instance, I do 100 new cards a day, and if I covered EKGs in class, I want to do EKG related new cards first. Is there anyway to arrange the order of new cards like this?

I've been trying to figure this out last night and it's been really bugging me.
Please help! :)
When you make a Custom Study deck, you need to check the box 'Reschedule cards based on my answers in this deck", found in the Options of the Custom Study deck.

My personal recommendation would be to set the 'New' cards for the Zanki deck to zero, and the 'Review' to whatever you'd like. Then, when you study a topic, create a Custom Study deck of New cards only, selected by tags. Use that deck to convert your New cards into Review cards, and they will start popping up in your daily Zanki reviews, with spaced repetition working fully.

Caveat: The downside of this is that Anki turns all 'Learning' cards back into 'New' cards when you put them back into the full deck. This means that you need to do one of two things: leave your Custom Study deck completely alone (no rebuilds, etc) until you graduate all of the new cards in it, or else set it up to have only one Learning step so that you go from New to Review after only one correct pass (it will still show it to you repeatedly if you keep marking it wrong, no worries). You can change the Learning steps either in the deck as a whole, or else only in the Custom Study deck with custom intervals.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's...not the setting you want to change.

Caveat: The downside of this is that Anki turns all 'Learning' cards back into 'New' cards when you put them back into the full deck.

My solution exactly addresses your caveat.... Let's say you have a new Zanki/Bros deck that you haven't started yet, and you want to study only cards with certain tags. If you select "New cards only" instead of "cram mode" when creating the custom study session, then the custom study session will count towards spaced repetition review progress for the cards that were in it. When you delete the custom study deck afterwards, the cards will go back to the original deck imbued with saved progress.

Another solution i forgot to mention is moving the cards you want to learn to a new deck. Create a new deck with whatever name you want. Then go to the Zanki/Bros deck that you want to pull cards out of, create a custom study session with it, select all the tags you want, open the session, click "Browse" at the top of the screen, hit "Enter" to show all cards in the current deck, press CTRL+A to select all cards, then click the "Change deck" button at the top and move the cards to the empty deck you created. Voila. Now you have all the cards with tags of interest in a separate, permanent, non custom-study deck.

My solution exactly addresses your caveat.... Let's say you have a new Zanki/Bros deck that you haven't started yet, and you want to study only cards with certain tags. If you select "New cards only" instead of "cram mode" when creating the custom study session, then the custom study session will count towards spaced repetition review progress for the cards that were in it. When you delete the custom study deck afterwards, the cards will go back to the original deck imbued with saved progress.

Another solution i forgot to mention is moving the cards you want to learn to a new deck. Create a new deck with whatever name you want. Then go to the Zanki/Bros deck that you want to pull cards out of, create a custom study session with it, select all the tags you want, open the session, click "Browse" at the top of the screen, hit "Enter" to show all cards in the current deck, press CTRL+A to select all cards, then click the "Change deck" button at the top and move the cards to the empty deck you created. Voila. Now you have all the cards with tags of interest in a separate, permanent, non custom-study deck.
It doesn't address the caveat at all. It does automatically check the "Reschedule cards" box when you choose only 'New' cards, but the actual solution was having that box checked, not limiting it to 'New' or 'Review' cards.
Learning cards are still reset to 'New' when you delete the Custom Study deck, test it out now if you want.

As you say, though, making a new deck is probably the easiest overall. Not sure why I didn't say that; I have on prior threads that have asked similar questions. I guess I just blanked and assumed that they didn't want the obvious solution, for some reason. Good call there.

Tbh, I've mostly decided I dislike premade decks anyways...nobody ever includes enough information on the backs, or else the questions themselves are too vague.