Need help from San Antonio residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GP Mommy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any help from UT San Antonio PM&R residents.

Here is the story:
I went to med school on an Air Force scholarship. I decided during 3rd yr that I wanted to do PM&R. I also chose to do my internship in internal med.

Half way through my 4th yr of med school, the Air Force told me I had to do my internship with them, which was fine. But, they also said they did not need PM&R physicians. So....I had two options:

1. either do general practice for 4 yrs after internship to pay off my commitment to them and then go do a civilian PM&R residency

2. or change to a specialty the Air Force was in need of.

I decided I really wanted to stick with PM&R (despite pressure from my wonderful Wilford Hall medicine attendings to switch to internal medicine). I completed my internship in internal medicine at Wilford Hall. Worked as a general practice physician for 4 yrs at Lackland AFB. Now I am out of the military and free to apply to civilian programs.

I now have a toddler and would like to stay home with her for a year or two before going back to residency. My husband works in San Antonio and after being here for 5 yrs now, we are kind of settled in so I would like to do my residency here. I thought it might be good to use this time off to find out more about the San Antonio program.

Are there any weekly/monthly conferences that I could attend to get more familiar with the program, faculty, and residents?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.