need help/information on applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how this whole process works so if anyone can answer some of my questions I greatly appreciate it.
I will be finished with all of my pre-reqs in the spring of 2005 (except organic chemistry 2 lab and physics lab which I plan on taking in the summer term of 2005 or fall term 2005) and I will be taking the MCAT in April 2005. I also failed a class and will be repeating it either in the spring term 2005 or summer term 2005. (The spring term usually ends in the last week of April and the first summer session term usually ends the last week of June.)
I am wondering how the applying process works. I was told that the earlier I apply the better my chances are, so I would like have all of my info. and application ready by the earliest date.
Can anyone help me out with this and suggest some things I should do. Should I file with AACOMAS during the spring term and then when the final grades are in send them my transcript? Would I be able to update my application after the summer term is completed or will I have to send my updated transcripts to the schools I applied to? Is it a problem that I will be taking the MCAT in April and won't get the results back for a few months? Is it a problem that at the time of applying I will not have completed organic chem 2 lab and physics lab? (These labs will probably be completed in the fall term 2005)

Members don't see this ad.

(1)if you take the mcat in april you will be fine. (2)if you want to update your grades you must send the transcript to the schools to which you applied to. (3)it would be better to complete the org chem lab 2 and phys lab in the summer because some schools will not give you serious consideration or want to invite you for an interview until all of the pre reqs are completed. however, in your case the labs aren't as important as a class. if you do well in your pre req classes most schools will overlook the fact that you haven't taken the lab yet. but don't take my word for it, the best way to go about doing this is to check with the schools you plan to apply to.

I would also talk to your premed advisor even if they are difficult (like mine was). Also one of the most difficult things for me was getting all my LORs. It took a lot longer to get them all back than I thought! If you have a premed committee I would definately use their letter service. Don't worry about the mcat because you have enough time to even take it again in August of 2005 if you have to. Good luck!

kdances said:
I would also talk to your premed advisor even if they are difficult (like mine was). Also one of the most difficult things for me was getting all my LORs. It took a lot longer to get them all back than I thought! If you have a premed committee I would definately use their letter service. Don't worry about the mcat because you have enough time to even take it again in August of 2005 if you have to. Good luck!

I actually would not use the committee's letter service if they use a composite letter. Generally they require a certain number of letters and then they compile the important bits into one letter. They include any comments they feel are relevant, whether negative or positive. I think one is much better off picking their letter-writers selectively - you only need 2 or 3.