Need Help on Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watsupdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking mine in April 19 or maybe May 10 if i am not prepared by April. I've been reviewing for about a month now but still have trouble getting some concepts down. That is why I haven't done any any passage-based questions. I'm afraid of starting practice tests because I feel like I am not ready. I am panicking and want to be able to send my apps early. What should you suggest? I have less than 8 weeks left. I have all of AAMC practice test and Kaplan as well as Gold Standard. Spent a lot of money! Should I take all of them or focus on some? Also, how do I review after I take a practice test? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Stop panicking. Though I personally decided I wouldn't take a practice exam till I finish content review, I think in your case it may be a good idea. Pick AAMC 3 or 5 (I heard 4 was a bit whack) and just slow down and take it. Don't expect to ace it, but compare it to your diagnostic. This will give you a much better idea of where you stand and whether you should move your test date or not. Also if you want any advice worth a damn more info is needed. What are you struggling with? How far along are you? What concepts are giving you trouble? what sections are giving you trouble?

Stop panicking. Though I personally decided I wouldn't take a practice exam till I finish content review, I think in your case it may be a good idea. Pick AAMC 3 or 5 (I heard 4 was a bit whack) and just slow down and take it. Don't expect to ace it, but compare it to your diagnostic. This will give you a much better idea of where you stand and whether you should move your test date or not. Also if you want any advice worth a damn more info is needed. What are you struggling with? How far along are you? What concepts are giving you trouble? what sections are giving you trouble?

I am mostly struggling with circuits, optics, waves, endocrine system, and thermochemistry. It seems I can't get those down. I have been reviewing and reviewing for about 2 months. I'm getting worried.

Try grabbing some other books different to the one you're using and go through them slowly and in parallel. Look for internet sources for all of them, this may help you particularly for waves because it is something that I'm sure you can find a video on (try looking for a simple harmonic motion video for example). If you don't get the way one book approaches something, find another book to read. Reading the same thing over and over sometimes just won't make sense so try it from another author's perspective, maybe in a textbook rather than a review book. They're all complex subjects, but thankfully they don't take very long to understand. Once getting a better feel just start doing problem after problem after problem, and every problem you get wrong WRITE DOWN whatever it was that messed you up. After doing a few, read those errors and then try the next few.