Need help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derf

Ohio Land
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
from AMCAS instruction booklet page 27

"All courses that appear on your transcripts and for which a grade and credit were ever assigned will be included in AMCAS GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-issuing school. This includes, but is not limited to:
? Courses from which you withdrew."

Do they mean that a withdrawal from a class *is equal to* an 'F' grade for AMCAS GPA purposes. That is, for a class which you withdrew, the units for that class are counted in the calculations even though no quality points are earned. That would be stunning if true.

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, that's not what they mean, at least not across the board for withdrawals. At my undergrad they assign either a WP or WF (pass or fail) for withdrawals. Maybe AMCAS would count an "F" for a WF but not a WP. I'm sure they wouldn't just assign F's to any course you withdrew from, though.

bones, thanks very much for the clarification. I was ready to drop in my pants when I read that. Damn, AMCAS needs to cognizant of how people might perceive the **** they write.

Anway, can I ask what school uses that system you referred to. That's pretty strict if you ask me.

I went to Duke (it's strange to say "went"; I just graduated yesterday). It's the school's way of discouraging people withdrawing from courses just to avoid getting an F on their transcripts.