Need help strengthening my application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flplaneteer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for some advice about re-applying to med school. I felt like a had a competitive application, but so far I have no acceptances and have been put on the waiting list at two schools (USF and FSU). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stats:

Sex: Male
Race: White

Degree: B.S. in Biology from USF

MCAT: 30 O
Phy: 9
Bio: 10
Verb: 11

GPA: 3.7
BCMP: 3.7

Clinical Experience: Worked in patient transport at hospital for three years. Volunteered in free medical clinic for the uninsured last summer.

Research Experience: Undergraduate research under two professors at USF for one semester each. Was employed as lab assistant in Univ. of Florida Plant Genetics lab for one summer.

Volunteer Experience: Have volunteered with Faith and Light, a handicap outreach program for over seven years and went on pilgrimage to Washington, DC for F&L national conference in 2006.

Life Experience: Paid for college on my own. Participated in National Student Exchange during my third year of college at Humboldt State University in northern California. Worked part time throughout college. Started college as an Environmental Science major. Haven't gotten a "B" since second year of college. Ran marathon in 2005.

I'm contemplating joing the Americorps or becoming an EMT, but I'm not sure how these will improve my application. I thought that my interviews went well and was pretty surprised when I wasn't accepted. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You sound like the average med school applicant (which is NOT a dig at you...because the average med school applicant is pretty darn good).

I think what is needed is to show that you are somehow different from the others. Something like Americorps might be a good way to do that.

Also, I don't know if you were able to "spin" your previous activities into a cohesive story of why you want to be a doctor, and how those activities helped you in learning more about the field of medicine. Have a bunch of people review your personal statement next time you apply, and make sure it tells your story as well as it can.

How many schools did you apply to?

Who were your LOR's from? Did you have one from a physician?

If you only took the MCAT once, you might consider retaking it, but may not need to and it carries some risk (that your score will go down). If you are normally a great standardized test taker, you might be able to increase the score, particularly if you take a prep course or study a different way than you did last year.

yep, would agree w/dragonlady..

And I'm not real clear on what all courses are required for a bio major -- may be a thought to try a couple more advanced ones in that field if you've not already taken all the tough ones? I learned a great deal from cell & molecular.

Research -- unclear on what subjects you worked with, other than one involved plants (rather than medical research). May be a thought to strengthen this/fill out this experience.

Strongly agree w/looking over your primary; heck have someone else look it over, too to make sure it tells the story that you want it to tell, rather than simply be a chronological list of your events. A good story would go a long way.

Other consideration is timing of the app -- may want to apply june/july-ish, tough to say if this was an issue last cycle for you. G'Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like the average med school applicant (which is NOT a dig at you...because the average med school applicant is pretty darn good).

I think what is needed is to show that you are somehow different from the others. Something like Americorps might be a good way to do that.

Also, I don't know if you were able to "spin" your previous activities into a cohesive story of why you want to be a doctor, and how those activities helped you in learning more about the field of medicine. Have a bunch of people review your personal statement next time you apply, and make sure it tells your story as well as it can.

How many schools did you apply to?

Who were your LOR's from? Did you have one from a physician?

If you only took the MCAT once, you might consider retaking it, but may not need to and it carries some risk (that your score will go down). If you are normally a great standardized test taker, you might be able to increase the score, particularly if you take a prep course or study a different way than you did last year.

Thank you so much for your help! It's funny that you say I sound average because that is exactly what I tell people when they ask why I din't get in. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone.

On Americorps - I'm still looking into that, but I am trying to figure out if there is enough medically related work in the Americorps program that would be relevant towards medical school.

On my Personal Statement - I tried to tie all of my events together and how the positive and negative experiences of my life have guided me towards medical school. I definately think I could spice it up more (I actually wrote a more "jazzy" PS last night.

I applied to 15 schools (5 dream school, 5 realistic schools, and 5 back-ups - 2 of which is where my interviews and waitlisting occurred at)

My letters of rec were from:

- 3 from professors I had while on Nat'l Student Exchange (1 Cell Bio, 1 Bacteriology, 1 Genetics).
- 1 from Doctor that I worked with at the hospital and knew as a close family friend.
- 1 from a former teacher that I've done mission trips with in high school, and participated in the Faith & Light (handicap outreach) National Convention with.
- 1 from peer (lab partner/ close friend) that I met while on exchange

The thing that might hurt me with these is that I had no LOR from my primary undergrad instituiton, USF.

On the MCAT - I only took it once and had a HORRIBLE test!!! This MCAT was tailor made for my weakness. I had 3 questions in the Bio section on skin! I evenhad to guess on the last Phys. section. I'm am trying to take it again in May or early June. I know I can get a 32-36 if I retake it.

yep, would agree w/dragonlady..

And I'm not real clear on what all courses are required for a bio major -- may be a thought to try a couple more advanced ones in that field if you've not already taken all the tough ones? I learned a great deal from cell & molecular.

Research -- unclear on what subjects you worked with, other than one involved plants (rather than medical research). May be a thought to strengthen this/fill out this experience.

Strongly agree w/looking over your primary; heck have someone else look it over, too to make sure it tells the story that you want it to tell, rather than simply be a chronological list of your events. A good story would go a long way.

Other consideration is timing of the app -- may want to apply june/july-ish, tough to say if this was an issue last cycle for you. G'Luck!

My courses were pretty standard, the year I was on exchange I was technically a Cell/Molec. bio major. The upper level courses I've taken are Genetics, Cell Bio, Animal Phys, Bacteriology, Parasitology, Biochemistry, Biology of Sharks and Rays, and Ecology.

Our research in the Plant Genetics lab was focused genetically created the best citrus plants (Love that Florida Orange Juice!). At USF, my research in one lab involved the stress hormone corticosterone and its affects on the immune system. In another lab, I studied the impact of chemicals and pollution on the ability of organisms to withstand being parasitized.

I touched on my research in my personal statement, but did not even go over it in as much detail as I just did in the above paragraph. I hate that damn character limit.

I took my MCAT July 11 last year and sent in my primary around the middle of September.

< At USF, my research in one lab involved the stress hormone corticosterone and its affects on the immune system. >

THIS is the research you probably should be emphasizing more in your medical school application. The adcoms won't care as much about the plant biology stuff.

I don't think a LOR from a peer is going to help at all...and I would not use if for any medical school unless they specifically ask for some sort of peer reference.

You should try to get a LOR from an upper level science professor at your main undergrad institution. Someone who has taught a lot of other students bound for graduate school, med school, etc. would be good (? biochemistry professor). Some schools have a premed advisor or premed committee that will write a letter for you, but I don't know if you have that at your school. If you don't feel like you can get a decent LOR now, then take another upper level bio class and get to know the professor.

I'm also not sure that a LOR from a physician who is a family friend will be super helpful, but if it's the only MD letter that you have, then I guess I'd just keep it. One from a non family friend physician who has had contact with you as a clinical volunteer would probably be better, but I realize those can be hard to get.

Retaking the MCAT might help, but I don't think that is your main problem. I would increase the number of volunteer hours, and make sure your LOR's are really strong and relevant, and make sure your application does a better job of selling you.

I would focus on essays and secondaries. You CAN get in! Really hone your 'message" you want the AD Coms to hear. You have the background, now you just need to play the game. Interviews are a good thing. Wait Lists suck. I would focus on....

1) Writing a persuasive LOI. (Could help, may not, can't hurt).
2) Keep active in the stuff that you love (medically related)
3) Start working on your AMCAS essay
4) Try and get feedback from schools re: this cycle's application.

I would focus on essays and secondaries. You CAN get in! Really hone your 'message" you want the AD Coms to hear. You have the background, now you just need to play the game. Interviews are a good thing. Wait Lists suck. I would focus on....

1) Writing a persuasive LOI. (Could help, may not, can't hurt).
2) Keep active in the stuff that you love (medically related)
3) Start working on your AMCAS essay
4) Try and get feedback from schools re: this cycle's application.

What does LOI mean?

I am trying to start volunteering at a hospital in an underserved area and shadow physicians there.

My last personal statement was more of a resume-style. I wrote another one earlier this week that was more personal and went over some key events in my life that have directed me towards medicine (ie: family illness, a patient dying while I transported them, people I met without insurance at a free clinic) and how these experiences affected me.

As far as feedback goes, the adcom at USF have told people on the waiting list that they should NOT send in any new information and that our positions on the list were already set and can't be changed.

FSU on the other hand accepts updates and I let them know I was going to start volunteering. I'm also picking up a Public Health minor this summer (its offered completely online!).

What does LOI mean?

I am trying to start volunteering at a hospital in an underserved area and shadow physicians there.

My last personal statement was more of a resume-style. I wrote another one earlier this week that was more personal and went over some key events in my life that have directed me towards medicine (ie: family illness, a patient dying while I transported them, people I met without insurance at a free clinic) and how these experiences affected me.

As far as feedback goes, the adcom at USF have told people on the waiting list that they should NOT send in any new information and that our positions on the list were already set and can't be changed.

FSU on the other hand accepts updates and I let them know I was going to start volunteering. I'm also picking up a Public Health minor this summer (its offered completely online!).

LoI is a letter of interest or intent, depending on the wording of the letter. good job on doing the right things so far!

You had an average application and you applied way too late.
Your MCAT is average; getting a higher score is the best thing you can do to improve your app in the shortest amount of time.
Make sure you really prep hard if you are going to take it again. Don't assume you can do better unless you put in the effort. :luck:

The additional volunteer work is definitely a good idea.

OP, I think you applied too late. Med schools have rolling admissions, and it's not like undergrad where you just have to meet the deadline. The earlier you apply, the better. Reapply next year and turn in everything in June/July, even if you are planning an MCAT retake...you can always let the scores come through later.

Since you only took the MCAT once, it wouldn't be a bad idea to retake it, but be sure to study very hard, because you don't want the score to go down.

You should send a letter to your favorite med school (or the one that said it actually moves people up/down the wait lists) telling them you want to go there, and why, and also why they should consider taking you. It can't hurt, and it's worth a shot since you might actually get in this year.

I just got accepted to USF today! Whew! What a relief.

I was planning on submitting my 2010 AMCAS tommorrow! Guess I won't have to now.

For those who are wondering I did the following to improve my next AMCAS (which will never be seen by anyone, lol!)

- retook MCAT (don't know score yet)
- became a Certified Nursing Assistant
- volunteered at a clinic for the homeless
- became a substitute teacher
- got new LORs: MD I shadowed with sons with Downs syndrome in handicapped outreach program I volunteered with (character), DO I shadowed, 2 from USF profs I did reserach with, 1 from HSU prof
- rewrote AMCAS activities, and 2 new personal statements
- shadowed new physicians

Guess all that work was for nothing (j/k it was great experience).

DONT'T GIVE UP PEOPLE! It actually is possible to get into medical school!