Need Help: What are my chances at this stage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lauren2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time SDN lurker, first time poster. So I applied in the 2011-2012 cycle, received 4 interviews and am currently waitlisted at 2 schools, have yet to hear back from one school (interviewed back in March) and got rejected from the fourth school. I felt like all my interviews went OK. All my schools were top 50 to top 75 schools.

My question to the SDN community is, what do you think my chances are at this stage of getting accepted off the waitlist? And, what's up with that one school that has not even given me post-interview update? Is this bad? Also, hould I submit my primaries for the 2012-2013 cycle?

I am a California resident, 32R, 3.7 sGPA and 3.75 cGPA. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and MCAT are good, so it's dependent on the schools you applied to, your ECs, and/or your LORs. Can you be more specific about the schools? Or give a generalized list of ECs? There are a lot of factors that go into an acceptance, not just stats.

Standard EC's. Shadowing, volunteering, tutoring, club officers but very little research. I would say I'm a very average applicant.

Temple (Wailisted)
Albert Einstein (Wailisted)
GWU (Not heard back)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's harsh - what kind of place did you do undergrad at? I think you should have gotten in somewhere barring any red flags.

you haven't heard back from GW? that's weird, there was an interview day that they tacked on the first week of May and i saw people in the GW thread commenting who had interviewed that day saying they heard back really quickly after. you should contact them, that is ridiculous. maybe an email from them went to your spam folder?

There were schools I never heard back from.

Your chances depend on where you went to undergrad. Why didn't you apply to more med schools?

there are schools you didn't hear back from POST-interview? OP was only referring to the 4 schools he/she interviewed at, they never mentioned the total number applied to.

That's harsh - what kind of place did you do undergrad at? I think you should have gotten in somewhere barring any red flags.

+1. A little strange unless you have something in your LORs that would be a red flag. OP, when were you complete at your schools?

could be your interviewing skills too.

OP at this point i think your best bet is to re-submit amcas for next year. wait list movement is so unpredictable, and at this point the "big wave" is over, there will still be acceptances given out. but minimal amounts. find out what went wrong last cycle, and hope for a better outcome this year.

Last edited:
could be your interviewing skills too.

OP at this point i think your best bet is to re-submit amcas for next year. wait list movement is so unpredictable, and at this point the "big wave" is over, there will still be acceptances given out. but minimal amounts. find out what went wrong last cycle, and hope for a better outcome this year.

How do you know the "big wave" is over? Don't schools still pull students off their waitlist in July?

I went to Wellesley for undergrad. I was complete around September due to a late letter of recommendation.

Also, I applied to 30 schools. I am South Asian. Not sure if that matters.

I was complete around September due to a late letter of recommendation.

That might be the problem. September isn't extremely late, but it's late enough that an average applicant might get lost in the shuffle. You should probably be preparing to submit your AMCAS just in case. There's a possibility that you can still get in off a waitlist (call your schools to ask about movement and call GW to get a decision), but don't wait until August to send your AMCAS.

it seems that most spots are filled by june but some movement still occurs through july and august.
you might want to send in your primary now with one school for verification, just in case you need to reapply

How do you know the "big wave" is over? Don't schools still pull students off their waitlist in July?

I went to Wellesley for undergrad. I was complete around September due to a late letter of recommendation.

Yes there will be acceptances still. Like I said. The big wave occurs around may 15th, after that yes waitlists will move, but a lot slower. You can wait until you get a final answer on your waitlists to reapply, but that's bordering on "late."

Last edited:
Unfortunately, being as late as it is now (May 15th is long gone), I dont think your chances are great. Those schools also interview a lot of people and also waitlist a good deal. Doesn't Einstein put a priority ranking on its wait list? If so, where are you on that?

Regardless, I would focus on getting this year's application ready...best of luck!