Not at the application stage yet, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nachosandcheese

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all.

I am about half a year in front of taking the MCAT and starting the application process. I figured it would be good to evaluate how I'm doing sooner than later to make sure I stay on track.

I am a Hispanic female, I have type 1 diabetes, and I hope to become an MDPHD so that I can help in the fight to cure type 1 diabetes.

I already have an associate's degree in art, and changed to a degree in biomedical sciences. I have spent a bit of time in school because of financial issues and this major shift, but have been making sure to stay on track since starting the biomedical sciences major. I think this makes me a little older compared to the average applicant, since I will be 27.

I used the AMCAS GPA calculator sheet given on this forum to figure what my GPAs will be if I get the grades I currently have this semester and straight A's next semester (along with everything else I've already done).

It will be an overall GPA of 3.68, and a BCPM GPA of 3.78.

My extracurriculars are as follows:
-Approximately 100 volunteer hours in patient services at a hospital. (Still doing this this semester.)
-About 25 volunteer hours in dispatch at the same hospital. (Still doing this this semester.)
-1 year of a leadership position in which I act as sort of a junior advisor for students. (Still doing this until I graduate.)
-1 semester in a club that serves families staying in a local cancer center or kids with chronic conditions. (Going to do this next semester, too.)
-1 Year in Judo Club
-1/2 a Year in a Dance Club (might do again next semester).
-Have been working as a cashier all throughout my schooling.
-Had a CNA license but never got a job. (Maybe planning on retesting and getting a job next summer, since all I will be doing is MCAT study at that time.)

Extra stuff:
-Intermediate ability in Spanish (raised bilingual)
-Intermediate ability in Japanese (passed official testing for this)

Things I know I need to work on:
-Getting hours shadowing.
-Getting involved in research.

So, as a student hoping to become an MDPHD, what would you suggest I improve and what advice do you have for me?

It is greatly appreciated~

Members don't see this ad.