need help with bay area anesthesia job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has the landscape changed?? What about this group

Not much on gasworks. Any private practice groups in the area 500k-600k 1099 jobs for non fellowship anesthesiologists?

I’ve worked with this group as a surgeon. They seem like a nice/competent bunch. All MD anesthesia which I appreciate as the surgeon.Can’t speak to their pay/partnership/call structure but people seem pretty happy there. From the folks I’ve talked to it’s pretty egalitarian where everyone takes the same call and cases, not somewhere where the new guy gets dumped on.

Their biggest issues recruiting/keeping folks just comes down to COL. I love the Bay Area but unless your family is there or you have a spouse with a tech job, it’s hard to justify saving for 5 years for a down payment on a 3 million dollar 2000 square foot house whose price rose another 750k while you were saving your down payment. As such they have a lot of Stanford and UCSF folk, partly just through networking/connections but mostly because those are often folks with ties to the area.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The landscape of SF itself has certainly changed… but with regards to jobs, I don’t know. With the exception of Kaiser, I would imagine the jobs there are still competitive but perhaps not as exclusive these days.

As for the group you posted, I only had a brief phone call with them a few years ago so my information may be dated. They seemed nice and a popular landing spot for UCSF residents at the time. They’ll have you driving all around the city and the money wasn’t anything to write home about. They also had this weird thing of hiring new people and then placing them into either a partnership or associate (non-partnership) track after about a year. It just seemed odd. They also couldn’t give me a timeline on cardiac and only promised a few liver transplants to keep up my skills.

I passed.

How much we talkin

The county hospital in San Jose, Santa Clara Valley MC is in that range or higher (600k+ total compensation according to public reporting) but it seems pretty call heavy with 30 overnights/year. 24 docs with 2 docs in-house every night. They probably have pretty good state employee benefits too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The county hospital in San Jose, Santa Clara Valley MC is in that range or higher (600k+ total compensation according to public reporting) but it seems pretty call heavy with 30 overnights/year. 24 docs with 2 docs in-house every night. They probably have pretty good state employee benefits too.

I’d expect that a big chunk of that is state bennies. I know surgeons there and they make 350-400 salary before benefits, expect the gas passers are similar.

I’d expect that a big chunk of that is state bennies. I know surgeons there and they make 350-400 salary before benefits, expect the gas passers are similar.

Yes a big chunk is bennies. But how many surgeons sleep in the hospital? Remember some of the clinical nurse III’s working there make 300k+ as they should.

Anesthesia:
0B19EAF6-6A6E-4988-B8BB-A18133974F27.jpeg

Surgery:
D186521B-ECAA-4B4E-B299-9EC54F1A08DC.png

Last edited:
I reviewed that site. Is it me or are the salaries in Santa Clara insane. I saw a dentist at a correctional facility making 365K.
Power engineer making 400K. WTF..

I reviewed that site. Is it me or are the salaries in Santa Clara insane. I saw a dentist at a correctional facility making 365K.
Power engineer making 400K. WTF..

But anesthesia is not bad. Most of the top paid Santa Clara county employees are anesthesiologists including one over $800k and several over $700k.

Last edited:
Has the landscape changed?? What about this group

Not much on gasworks. Any private practice groups in the area 500k-600k 1099 jobs for non fellowship anesthesiologists?
It's a big time buyer's market. The fact that TPMG currently has ads on gaswork for jobs in desirable spots should tell you something. The real estate prices, high cost of living, high taxes, etc are keeping many away. Even w/ the group you cited above, if you take a look at their more recent hires, you will see that there actually aren't that many from the local programs (Stanford/UCSF). That's bc Stanford/UCSF attract residents from all over the country and many decide to leave the bay area after residency.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm watching youtube videos about how to do an appy in the bay area as we speak
These sound like big time numbers until you realize that the cost of a decent home in a decent neighborhood+school district in and around that area (Los Altos, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Saratoga, and towns up and down the Peninsula) is currently probably 3 mil

There is that predatory group in Santa Monica that takes 5 years to make partner if youre desperate to go there. They posted a thread in the job listings here on SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
These sound like big time numbers until you realize that the cost of a decent home in a decent neighborhood+school district in and around that area (Los Altos, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Mountain View, Saratoga, and towns up and down the Peninsula) is currently probably 3 mil
Youre point would be more well taken if salaries in the NYC area were around the same which they are not. NYC cost of living is the highest prob in the world

Reactions: 1 user
But anesthesia is not bad. Most of the top paid Santa Clara county employees are anesthesiologists including one over $800k and several over $700k.
Yea that salary is def good depending on what they do for it..

Youre point would be more well taken if salaries in the NYC area were around the same which they are not. NYC cost of living is the highest prob in the world
How is the % of people that commute from outlying areas different, when comparing NYC and SF?

I've never lived in or near NYC but I understand lots of people commute from outlying areas including NJ.

I used to live in a SF suburb (Benicia/Vallejo area as a high school kid) and the public transit options to get into the city were not great. There was BART but it didn't go very far out. We had to drive across a bridge to even get to an outlying station in Concord. Even now, looking at a map, it only goes as far as Antioch and most of its service area has a freakishly expensive COL.

I get the impression that it's possible for a NYC commuter to live in an expensive yet not crazy exorbitant area. SF, maybe not so much.

You can be within reasonable commuting distance of NYC (1 hour or less) and not have to spend $3 million on a house and still be in a “top tier” school district. NYC itself is exorbitant, but the catchment area is a lot more reasonable than SF.

You can be within reasonable commuting distance of NYC (1 hour or less) and not have to spend $3 million on a house and still be in a “top tier” school district. NYC itself is exorbitant, but the catchment area is a lot more reasonable than SF.

One hour is a reasonable commute? Just shoot me. No anesthesia job in Manhattan is worth that torture, there are plenty of good places just outside the city to work.

I also agree with this and am currently considering it as an option

One hour is a reasonable commute? Just shoot me. No anesthesia job in Manhattan is worth that torture, there are plenty of good places just outside the city to work.
An hour on the train is light years different than an hour in a car. You knock your reading list out quick

Reactions: 3 users
An hour on the train is light years different than an hour in a car. You knock your reading list out quick

Then what am I supposed to read in the OR? :lol:

The hour itself may be more bearable on a train, but that’s still 2 hours of my day wasted. I would rather use that time to go for a run in the morning and spend time with my kids at night. You cannot overstate the value of a short commute to work each day.

Reactions: 2 users
Top tier school district in NY area with a million dollar home will kill you in taxes. Im talking 2500/month in just taxes. Thats not anything else.

Not saying it is, just comparing NYC lifestyle to SF lifestyle. I would never do that commute myself, but there are millions that do.

Top tier school district in NY area with a million dollar home will kill you in taxes. Im talking 2500/month in just taxes. Thats not anything else.

What are the property taxes in CA? A $1million home with $30k a year in property taxes vs a $3million dollar home with $0 property taxes? Even if the CA property taxes are half that (which I doubt), you are still coming out ahead in NY metro.

Listen, both places are not great places to live and build wealth, but SF seems to be edging out NYC in actually being a worse place in terms of cost lately.

should have been a police officer...
And spend your career dealing with the worst human beings in our society?

Responding to a call for a domestic disturbance vs 5 PM add-on butt pus ...

Scraping dead people off the freeway vs meeting the survivors in the OR ...

Niccolo said it's better to be feared than loved but I'd rather be a doctor than a cop.

The hour itself may be more bearable on a train, but that’s still 2 hours of my day wasted. I would rather use that time to go for a run in the morning and spend time with my kids at night. You cannot overstate the value of a short commute to work each day.
*fill in the blank* - hub

(That's a joke. In case any future employer is lurking)

• Haha
And spend your career dealing with the worst human beings in our society?

Responding to a call for a domestic disturbance vs 5 PM add-on butt pus ...

Scraping dead people off the freeway vs meeting the survivors in the OR ...

Niccolo said it's better to be feared than loved but I'd rather be a doctor than a cop.
I'd probably be more like the police on "South Side" on HBO Max. Hilarious show

My commute went from 4 minutes to 22 minutes when we had a kid and moved to the burbs, and even 22 feels like an eternity. Can’t imagine how much an hour a day each way would feel like.

Also, houses are enormous waste-of-space money pits and I would’ve never bought one if it weren’t for happy-wife-happy-life. What’s wrong with a nice apt next to a nice public park.

Also some of the better public schools in NY are in Westchester so you may be able to avoid needing to put you kid in private school which in my book is the trade off for higher property tax. The wild thing about the entire Bay Area is that people pay wild prices for houses to be in the correct school district and then still put their kid in private schools.

• Haha
Also some of the better public schools in NY are in Westchester so you may be able to avoid needing to put you kid in private school which in my book is the trade off for higher property tax. The wild thing about the entire Bay Area is that people pay wild prices for houses to be in the correct school district and then still put their kid in private schools.
QFT.

I am not trying to make a point about anything lol. I am not saying compensation is higher there bc of the cost of living. We all know those don't necessarily correlate. I am merely saying what the reality is. That even though a person may be making that amount of money, it won't really go as far bc of how expensive that area is.

Last edited:
I've lived in the bay area basically my entire life. I can say that the good public schools here actually give you a better quality of education than the private schools. I have no idea why ppl would opt for private schools here if they are in a good school district

How can you afford to live there for that? I'm not sure that I could comfortably afford a place with million dollar houses on that. Not financially but psychologically.

In general, people can comfortably afford a home 2x their annual income.

I've lived in the bay area basically my entire life. I can say that the good public schools here actually give you a better quality of education than the private schools. I have no idea why ppl would opt for private schools here if they are in a good school district

This is true in NYC and the Virginia suburbs of DC too. Especially the competitive admission public high schools.

Reactions: 2 users

My daughter went to private school k-8 because we didn’t live in the best school district but the vast majority of her classmates did live in the #1 or #2 school districts.

So you can make friends with the people that can afford private school

The 73 neighbors whose noise and proximity you can't get away from, for starters. :)

The people stomping around in the apartment above you at all hours.
I'm not talking about living in the same apt building I lived in as a freshman. If you've ever been in some higher end places you can't hear squat except for what's going on in your unit.

I'm not talking about living in the same apt building I lived in as a freshman. If you've ever been in some higher end places you can't hear squat except for what's going on in your unit.

Agree. Well built buildings can be very quiet. But another major downside to stacked housing are plumbing issues/water leakage from units above and no water while your neighbors are repairing their plumbing. On the upside, they are super energy efficient and have lower environmental impact. Of course single family homes have their own endless issues.

Last edited:
This is alameda county. Probably Highland General.

View attachment 347716
I was looking thru some of the listings there at Highland Hospital and they’re kinda wacky lol. This nurse anesthetist damn near made as much as the highest earning orthopods there. And made more than the anesthesia chair lol. The highest earning physician in the entire system was a hospitalist.

Heh, I'll concede that the nightly drunken parties at the slum I lived in as an undergrad is one far end of the spectrum. I lived in a much nicer apartment for my fellow year, and the noise was way down, but there's just no fully escaping the mass of humanity crammed into one building. To each his own.

Rural living has its issues too. I just learned that I need to bulldoze and replant about 8 acres of trees between my house and a neighbor because 80%+ are dead or dying from ash borer beetles. There's going to be a window of a few years when I'll be able to see their horses from my house. I'll get by, somehow, while I wait for new not-ash trees to fill in.