Need help with gingival floor (Class II Amalgam)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ameloblastomator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really bad time with this. For the love of God, I can't get the gingival floor to be straight bucal-lingually. It always slopes downward toward the lingual.

Usually I just deepen the gingival floor to the point of having 0.5mm gingival clearance, but after i take the tooth out, I can see the box from the mesial side, and it's totally inclined towards the lingual.

I try to use the bur height as a landmark, but I always end up deepening the lingual side of the proximal box more...

Please, please, please... Give me a pointer to solve this problem

Edit 1: I'm currently practicing on tooth #30 Class II MO, I use a 330 bur for deepening and a 56 bur to smoothen the pulpal, gingival floor and give the box proper form.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're desperate, you can take a hatchet, gingival margin trimmer, or angle former and go to town on that side of the floor that is high.

It's obviously a bur angulation problem and if you retain that problem when you get into fixed-prosthodontics, you will greatly suffer because that class is all about angulation control.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Try using the 245 or 169L to deepen the proximal box. Then don't be afraid to use a hatchet or hoe like the previous user mentioned. Just note that the plastic is more likely to fracture from using hand instruments than real enamel is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if im wrong, but I don't think that is a problem unless it is severely declined lingually. The slope of the gingival floor should follow the slope of the occlusal surface. Right? So for a molar it may be slightly sloped lingually, while a premolar may have a bit more of a slope since the crown is angled more toward the lingual side.

if it's the problem i think you're having, using a hatchet will only smoothen out your floor, it wouldn't help you fix the problem of slanting your floor...that would have to do with holding your handpiece straight. as a user above said, if the contour of the tooth is slightly tilted toward the lingual, then you just have to go with it.

make sure you have a steady hand rest and hold your handpiece straight. go down into the central fossa to about 1.5 mm. extend the prep mesially and distally at that same depth until you hit the major grooves, without compromising the marginal ridges

then go back to your central fossa and extend buccolingually to make your 'dovetails'. you can use your hatchet to remove any unsupported enamel+smoothen out your floor if you wish