Need help with immunization record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school's asking for my documention of required Measles, Rubella, Mumps, and Tetanus-Diphtheria immunization. I don't have the record. Do I go to a doctor and get those shots? I don't even know if I ever had em when I was young.

Members don't see this ad.

polarnut said:
The school's asking for my documention of required Measles, Rubella, Mumps, and Tetanus-Diphtheria immunization. I don't have the record. Do I go to a doctor and get those shots? I don't even know if I ever had em when I was young.

You more than likely had them if you attended any sort of elementary, middle, or high school in the US or Canada. However, if you don't have the records, just go to the doctor's and have a titer taken. They'll just draw some blood, run some lab tests, and stick you with a hefty bill depending on your insurance coverage.

are you suppose to get tetanus-diphthria booster shot every 10 years or just within 10 years of the first one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure of the specifics.... but a doctor should be able to dig up your records and find out what shots you have already had, and what you will need. As was previously mentioned, they can also run some tests to see if the documents cant be located.
At worst, you will just have to get all the shots again... which isnt really too big of a deal.

If you were born in the United States then you should have had your MMR shots already. Go to Dr.s office you went to when you were young. They should have your record on file.

i did have my MMR shots. i only have the record for the first shot. i dont have the record for the required second vaccination. :(

so worst comes to worst and i cant find the record, do i have to go through getting all these bleeping shots again?

polarnut said:
i did have my MMR shots. i only have the record for the first shot. i dont have the record for the required second vaccination. :(

so worst comes to worst and i cant find the record, do i have to go through getting all these bleeping shots again?

I couldn't find my second record when I sent in my vaccine sheet... I just went in and had an MMR titer done, they draw blood and test it for the antibodies, then you get a readout of how much of these antibodies you have. If you have a certain amount, you're okay. I ended up finding my second record, but after I sent my titer in. My school was okay with it. I'm not sure where you are going but there's both a measles and rubella "outbreak" if you could call it that, happening in Boston right now. *Edit* I guess I should have looked at your sig, you're going to Cleveland, might as well be safe anyways though

And as far as the tetanus, it is every 10 years.

Utes

crazy_sherm said:
You more than likely had them if you attended any sort of elementary, middle, or high school in the US or Canada. However, if you don't have the records, just go to the doctor's and have a titer taken. They'll just draw some blood, run some lab tests, and stick you with a hefty bill depending on your insurance coverage.

I had to have my tetanus booster before I could enter. I just went down to my local health department and paid $5 for the shot and didn't mess with insurance. So if insurance is a problem, you might consider going there.

Health clinics all the way for me....really cheap...just get their early in the morning to avoid waiting in line so long. I had to get a titer drawn for my Hep B shots and I was the first in line:)

I had the titer done because my mom swears that I had the shots, she just couldn't find the paperwork. Titer showed that I didn't have immunity and need the two shots. I am just waiting until the break between summer and fall semesters because the nurse said that most ppl get a high fever 5 to 7 days after having the shot. That's all I know.

ok, thanks guys for your info!

dude...i spent like 900 for completing all the requirements...is it just me that spent that much?...im out of school right now so i don't have any health insurance...

Hybridgen3 said:
dude...i spent like 900 for completing all the requirements...is it just me that spent that much?...im out of school right now so i don't have any health insurance...

WOW 900? Seems like a lot of money to me. The most expensive shots I got were my Hep B shots which were 75$ a piece. Everything else was relatively inexpensive. The community health clinic is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hybridgen3 said:

I spent around 500 and that was with insurance. the lab test were crazy expensive..

900? 500? what the hell. how are they so expensive? a;sldka;lsdk

Hybridgen3 said:

$515 for me, mostly lab... I already had all my required shots. I let my insurance run out while I'm waiting for the school plan to kick in.
Edit: $525 if the cost of faxing's included

I ended up going to a clinic that usually has patients from low-income or no insurance patients. My lab work ended up being only $50 bucks. :D What kind of tests are you all getting??

No offense, but italian soccer is horrible to watch. I cant remember who, but this itialia got stepped on the toe and goes down crying holding his ankle. The itialia national team flops and they go down to easy. Even worse, italy would loose the ball and the guy would fall down so France would kick the ball out of bounds to stop the fast break.

Its kindof funny what Zidane did though.

Anyways congrats on the world cup win to all those fans,

I was going for USA and Croatia, but we all know US soccer is even worse to watch than italian soccer =[

letsgfuad said:
No offense, but italian soccer is horrible to watch. I cant remember who, but this itialia got stepped on the toe and goes down crying holding his ankle. The itialia national team flops and they go down to easy. Even worse, italy would loose the ball and the guy would fall down so France would kick the ball out of bounds to stop the fast break.

Its kindof funny what Zidane did though.

Anyways congrats on the world cup win to all those fans,

I was going for USA and Croatia, but we all know US soccer is even worse to watch than italian soccer =[

this is random :confused:

hockeydentist said:
I spent around 500 and that was with insurance. the lab test were crazy expensive..

i know i need the the diptheria and the tetanus shots... i don't have insurance but the dental school said to wait if i needed any of the vaccines and that i could get them in the schools clinic the first week of classes, and supposedly they are at a student rate. so wait i will! :laugh:

To the OP: go to a clinic. I realized way too late that I should have gone to a clinic rather than a lab. I believe I spent a total of 500 on MMR shots, Hep B shots 1 and 2, diptheria, and titers for everything except Hep B. Titers are ridiculously expensive...

As far as MMR, I know you should have gotten it when you started high school or should have had them before entering high school. I believe once you receive MMR shots, they are good for 10 years. Good luck.

I went to my school's clinic. It cost around $200, don't remember exactly, but they took care of everything! Also, you can get your medical records if you call your Undergrad.

i just got all my vaccinations free at a public health clinic. damn, i love california :D