Need help with LORs and a specific situation regarding LOR.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobdog20

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently preparing for the next application cycle and I am unsure about how I should approach my letter of recommendations. I have heard that interfolio is a good start, but I am not quite sure what this application does.

Regarding, an actual LOR situation, which is my main concern...

I am a head coach of a women's club sports team at my school (second season now). We travel to various universities and play in a legitimate league. Some teams have paid staff and coaches, but our team is run strictly by the players in the organization. I am wondering who I should use as a LOR. Unfortunately, I do not want to ask the actual head of club sports because I have had limited communication with him and it would not be a personable letter.

I am stuck between two methods for letter writers.

1.) Ask the team president, a senior in supply chain/management information systems, and possibly the rest of the team executive board (all students) to write a group letter. Not sure if this is allowed..? I know she will write a meaningful letter, but she does not have experience in writing graduate school admission letters.

2.) I have gotten to know one of the dads on the team quite well. I actually convinced his daughter not to quit her freshman year and now this is one of the most meaningful experiences she has had in college so far. I have not asked him, but I think he will write a meaningful and professional letter. He is the head of sales at medical company, so he may have experience writing letters. We always talk about medical school and skiing, and he hinted at employment at his company if I was ever interested in getting into another business.

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think the dad of an adult player makes sense for a letter.

Team president or head of club are appropriate

I don’t think the dad of an adult player makes sense for a letter.

Team president or head of club are appropriate

Thanks for your input. Yes, I agree, it's a bit weird, I was trying to look at other angles.

Have the senior write the letter and sign; get the head of club sports to counter sign.
This is at best a secondary letter and will not be required or recommended by any medical school

Thank you for the comment. I will most likely take this path.