USMLE Need Help with Step 1 Please, Starting from Scratch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandhu11

Reaction score
I am an IMG and i have not been able to study anything for the last 3 years, and i dont remember anything anymore because i passed my exams by memorizing stuff and dont know the basics

i want to be able to apply for residency next year and try to clear step 1 withing next 4 months...i am prepared to put all the effort in but the things i wish to know is:

Are kaplan videos necessary? they are very time consuming and even if i was able to finish them there will be no time for revision, i feel like i need the review to learn the basics first but is there any faster way to do this? can i start with FA and pathoma or do i need to watch kaplan videos first if i dont know the basics?

do i have to know every little detail to pass step 1? will starting with first aid, pathoma and uworld without knowing the basics be a good idea? or is it absolutely necessary to watch the kaplan videos first?

i would appreciate any answer, please i need the help so that i don't waste anytime on unnecessary things and spend the time i have the best way possible, is there a better way to review everything from med school than kaplan thats less time consuming? what do i need to do or know to start FA and uworld? besides studying 8-12 hours a day what else do i need to do to be able to give the exam in 4 months?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IMG and i have not been able to study anything for the last 3 years, and i dont remember anything anymore because i passed my exams by memorizing stuff and dont know the basics

i want to be able to apply for residency next year and try to clear step 1 withing next 4 months...i am prepared to put all the effort in but the things i wish to know is:

Are kaplan videos necessary? they are very time consuming and even if i was able to finish them there will be no time for revision, i feel like i need the review to learn the basics first but is there any faster way to do this? can i start with FA and pathoma or do i need to watch kaplan videos first if i dont know the basics?

do i have to know every little detail to pass step 1? will starting with first aid, pathoma and uworld without knowing the basics be a good idea? or is it absolutely necessary to watch the kaplan videos first?

i would appreciate any answer, please i need the help so that i don't waste anytime on unnecessary things and spend the time i have the best way possible, is there a better way to review everything from med school than kaplan thats less time consuming? what do i need to do or know to start FA and uworld? besides studying 8-12 hours a day what else do i need to do to be able to give the exam in 4 months?

It depends how much you remember from your previous medical years. UFAP is good, but it does require you to have some basic knowledge already. People who took several years off and forgot almost everything - usually take either Kaplan course or Boards and Beyond to refresh everything and then hit UFAP hard. The problem is as you said they take a lot of time, for example Board and Beyonds is a course that can take about 3-4 months.
Since you don't have that time, I think you can start from skipping Kaplan videos and read only their text/pdf. Do it within 1.5 months. Then hit UFAP hard. Also can add Sketchy Micro and Pharm. It won't be easy, but I don't see any other strategy to fit you into 4 months given your current condition.
Another problem is that with that short time you probably won't be looking for a good score, but rather to just pass. I don't know man. It's up to you, and it's non of my business to ask what you were doing all this time. However, if you waited 3 years, maybe it's worth set realistic goals and give yourself more time - prepare better and get a good score on exam? Just my opinion man.