Need help with Toledo's 2ndary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterFutu

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay #1 (Required): The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

I looked in the forum and so far, one of the helpful tips was that the experience did not have to be about health care.

Does demonstrate mean how I implemented my learned cultural competence in a particular scenario, or does it just mean how I developed cultural competency?

Can I just write about how my experience living in different states helped expose me to different ethnic groups and socio-economic backgrounds and how through this exposure I learned about different religion, customs, and ideologies.

How should I go about this prompt?

Members don't see this ad.

You might find better help on the school specific thread

Does demonstrate mean how I implemented my learned cultural competence in a particular scenario, or does it just mean how I developed cultural competency?

The prompt asks for a time in which you demonstrated competence, implying you are to talk about a time when you showed you possess cultural awareness and the ability to work with those of different cultures etc. How you gained said competence is tangential, unless you speak of an experience in which you gained new competence and applied it.

You might find better help on the school specific thread

plus this.

Reactions: 1 user