Need help with trasferring from rads to rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thtotherguy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched into east coast rads program which was low on my list and will be starting that in 2019. I have family ties in midwest and staying in midwest is ideal for me. I would have been fine continuing my rads in east coast but some family matters will require me to stay in midwest area. I have secured prelim position in midwest but then I dont wanna leave the region. Should I complete my intern year and reapply? Or should i check for open pgy2 spots? Need advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently matched into east coast rads program which was low on my list and will be starting that in 2019. I have family ties in midwest and staying in midwest is ideal for me. I would have been fine continuing my rads in east coast but some family matters will require me to stay in midwest area. I have secured prelim position in midwest but then I dont wanna leave the region. Should I complete my intern year and reapply? Or should i check for open pgy2 spots? Need advice.

Participation in the Match makes you obligated to start at the program you matched to. You could request a waiver from NRMP, but they wouldn't grant it based on being unhappy with your match result. Others may be able to say whether a waiver has been granted based on family hardship. NRMP would grant it if you decided to pursue a different specialty, though, but that would mean giving up Rads.

Reactions: 2 users
Participation in the Match makes you obligated to start at the program you matched to. You could request a waiver from NRMP, but they wouldn't grant it based on being unhappy with your match result. Others may be able to say whether a waiver has been granted based on family hardship. NRMP would grant it if you decided to pursue a different specialty, though, but that would mean giving up Rads.

Thank you for response. I dont want to completely drop out of program. If PD agrees to let me transfer, how soon I can do that? Do I still need to start my Pgy2 and then transfer later on or I can talk to PD before that? Thank you once again.

Read the SOAP 2018 thread and try to have a bit of perspective here. You matched. You will be a radiologist. Take a few days to feel down about not getting one of your top choices and then go into it as if it was your number one pick.

If you give up your spot to try for another location, you will likely not be a radiologist in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the SOAP 2018 thread and try to have a bit of perspective here. You matched. You will be a radiologist. Take a few days to feel down about not getting one of your top choices and then go into it as if it was your number one pick.

If you give up your spot to try for another location, you will likely not be a radiologist in the future.

Thank you. If I likely to go with the program, work my ass off, what are the chances to move back to midwest for IR fellowship/ jobs?

Don't do it. Take your position hold your head up and go. If you can find someone to swap you might have a chance. But dropping out of your match contract is a no go for repeat applicants. Sorry, don't list places that you don't like, or cannot go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not prying, but these arose within the last 6 months? Or, in the last month and a half, from the time to certify rank lists?

"Only rank places you are willing to go."

Unfortunately, the situation took place after ranklist deadline. I wont give up and likely to go with program. But in future, is it possible to transfer? What r my chances for transfer?

I am not sure, but I don't think anyone besides you (including me) in this thread is rads. So, I, likewise, am not sure that anyone knows that with any element of authority.

Hmm. Make sense. Thank you for reply. Lets see how things turn out!

Thank you. If I likely to go with the program, work my ass off, what are the chances to move back to midwest for IR fellowship/ jobs?

I can't pretend to know the competitiveness of the job market or fellowships in the midwest several years from now, but it stands to reason that after residency you should have options that will fit your professional goals.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't pretend to know the competitiveness of the job market or fellowships in the midwest several years from now, but it stands to reason that after residency you should have options that will fit your professional goals.

Thank you!

I find myself in a similar position to the OP, didn't match into rads where I expected and worry what if I go to the program and find out I really cannot live there so I researched the options and spoke to faculty at my medical school.

1. As to your first question, "should I complete an intern year and reapply?", the match is binding for better or worse. You can get an NRMP waiver for your PGY-2 position either for change of specialty or undue hardship; the latter requires supporting documentation. If you obtained a hardship waiver, you are risking not matching in 2019 and remember rads has been getting more competitive; if you got a change of specialty waiver you would have to give up on rads.

2. You could also start your program in 2019 and if necessary transfer between residencies. While there aren't a large number of them, residencies do post openings. You can find these on FREIDA or APDR. I don't know how hard it is to get accepted as a transfer applicant, but I imagine programs who find themselves with a "hole" would be pretty motivated to take someone on.

3. You seem to be concerned about the possibility of pursuing a career in IR and moving to the Midwest. According to SIR there will be option for a two year independent IR residency after DR residency and that "it is expected that most programs with a current VIR fellowship will also have an independent IR residency." That being said, I have no idea how competitive independent IR residencies will be and whether it would be easy or hard to find an IR position in the Midwest.

Matching low is discouraging and not the unknown--having to live in a new city and work with people you barely know--is scary. I personally will try to give myself time to warm up to my PGY-2 match but I also am not in a situation where the match would cause hardship on my family.

I wish you the best of luck during intern year and with your career in radiology.

Reactions: 1 user
I find myself in a similar position to the OP, didn't match into rads where I expected and worry what if I go to the program and find out I really cannot live there so I researched the options and spoke to faculty at my medical school.

1. As to your first question, "should I complete an intern year and reapply?", the match is binding for better or worse. You can get an NRMP waiver for your PGY-2 position either for change of specialty or undue hardship; the latter requires supporting documentation. If you obtained a hardship waiver, you are risking not matching in 2019 and remember rads has been getting more competitive; if you got a change of specialty waiver you would have to give up on rads.

2. You could also start your program in 2019 and if necessary transfer between residencies. While there aren't a large number of them, residencies do post openings. You can find these on FREIDA or APDR. I don't know how hard it is to get accepted as a transfer applicant, but I imagine programs who find themselves with a "hole" would be pretty motivated to take someone on.

3. You seem to be concerned about the possibility of pursuing a career in IR and moving to the Midwest. According to SIR there will be option for a two year independent IR residency after DR residency and that "it is expected that most programs with a current VIR fellowship will also have an independent IR residency." That being said, I have no idea how competitive independent IR residencies will be and whether it would be easy or hard to find an IR position in the Midwest.

Matching low is discouraging and not the unknown--having to live in a new city and work with people you barely know--is scary. I personally will try to give myself time to warm up to my PGY-2 match but I also am not in a situation where the match would cause hardship on my family.

I wish you the best of luck during intern year and with your career in radiology.

Thank you so much. I also talked to my mentor and people I know. Sticking with plan to start the residency and will try to transfer if I find open spots! Good luck to you as well.

Midwest is the least competitive region for IR fellowship