need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sechen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

ok i need help from ppl who have actually interviewed at ucla this interview season on how you feel about this particular program. what are it's pro and con. i have been very fortunate this season to interview at a number of nationally recognized anesthesiology programs on the east coast, compared to west coast. i am from west coast however, so it would make more sense for me to return to a place where i have a structured network and support for residency. when i started my interview trail, i have set a goal to interview at programs which will provide me with comprehensive training and unlimited opportunities for employment in the future, which i was able to do so with a number of programs on the east coast. now i am torn b.w actually following my goals and my desire of returning to the west coast. i personally like ucla, and would like to solicit opinion from ppl who have been there to see what you guys think about the ucla program. your comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sechen,
i interviewed at ucla this season and left with mixed feelings. the program director seems absolutely amazing with all kinds of great ideas for resident education, etc. also, ucla sees everything so you'd be assured good variety and exposure. nevertheless, every single resident told me that they chose ucla because of southern california...which is fine, but no one spoke of how impressed or satisfied they were with the program. in fact, several pulled me aside to tell me that they weren't all that happy with the training, but felt it was not so bad as to outweigh being in la.

you spoke of wanting to go to a program that would assure you versatility in future job locations. this is something that i'm concerned with as well and worried a bit that 75% of ucla grads stay in socal, 20% go to norcal and only 5% go elsewhere. clearly, it's hard to say whether these folks just love the sun and can't bear the thought of leaving, or do the ucla grads have trouble outside of california?

in the end, who really knows anything? we spend one day trying to imagine if we will fit in for 3-4 years. i really think it's important to be near family and good support during residency, but you should also feel like you are satisfied with the quality of training. after all, we will only train once.

obviously, i've fallen into free-association ramblings. i really wanted to like ucla as i'm from the west (but not cali) and would like to return forever (hence my reservations re: geographic versatility). i don't know...maybe i had a mediocre interview day, but the residents were less than inspired about their training and i wasn't all that impressed.

nevertheless, if you have a super-strong pull to la, i think it's clearly the best program in the region.

I've been close to the program(not very) but for quite a while(1 year) and have been participating in didactic sessions. My impressions are not based on 1 day visits and may be outdated, but towards the better. Dr. Wald the resident director is really an excelletn teacher and loves doing that and getting involved with resident education. The same goes for most attendings especially in Cardiac. TEE sessions are excellent as well as grand rounds and other didactics. Case exposure I'd say second to none. Where UCLA lags, compared to the midwest programs is I believe OR teaching, and this is valid at any california program that loses money, and where EFFICIENCY is overemphasised (to the detriment of resident teaching of course). However...I think it's a great program and you'll have opportunities for fellowships and so on all over the country. Haveing lived in LA, I'm telling you, people like the weather and life and do not want to live So CA. That's where the 75% comes from. ...that's all I have to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
sechen

Hello Dr. Chen. I wondered if that was you posting the UCLA thread. I thought you wanted to be back home in So Cal. Well, hope you are doing well, and good luck in the match...i'm sure you will get what you want.

To those who want to be in anesthesia in the future, follow sechen's ways. sechen is a stellar student with great scores (I assume) and did research and is overall a great person.

To those who wish for UCLA, my advice is definitely do a Sub-I there. It will guarantee you an interview even if you are a marginal candidate like me, and the residents and attendings were great teachers. It is kind of a pain to get everything set up, and it will cost you $100 just for an application fee, but if you're interested it is worth it. My take on UCLA is that it is the best in So Cal with unrivaled case exposure compared to other programs in the area. They just increased their residency size, and are now taking 20 per year. Residents told me that the minimum and avg Step I for matched applicants were 220+, but hard work counts for something, i hope. One advantage is that the network in So Cal is so ingrained with UCLA trained anesthesiologists, some places in the area will only interview UCLA grads for jobs...as i have been told by senior residents there. Also, they score in the 90th percentile on written boards, and didactics is good. The new PD Dr. Wald is young, energetic, and bright, and also a med student and resident advocate. The only negatives is lack of trauma experience, the residents work very hard, and pre-ops are almost never done. But these "negatives" are far outweighed by all the positives. So for those who want superb training and learning in a brand new state of the art hospital (opening 2004), UCLA is a great place to go. Just do a sub-i, it gives you a big advantage, even if you are like sechen.

Anyways, once again, Dr. Chen, good luck and take care.

Sechen and anyone else:

I interviewed at UCLA this year and I put my thoughts in the thread "have you heard about." What I said in that thread was:

UCLA: Well, its in CA so I'm slightly biased, but it is West LA, which is super nice and the weather was 75 degrees in December so there really isin't anyone who could complain about that. The program is bigger, 25 or so and there is a lot to do. The residents said they worked hard, but it is residency after all. UCLA does more liver transplants than anyone else in the country and more pediatric cardiac surgery as well, so that was something interesting. They have Childrens Hospital LA, the Jules Stine Eye Institute and they are a major referral center for all of Southern CA, for every specialty. They are also building a brand new hospital with help from the 100 million that David Geffen donated and it is going to be a pretty fantastic place. The current hospital is very nice but the new one will be incredible. I think it might be weak in Critical care but they are adding additional rotations which everyone seems to be very happy with. 75% of residents stay in Southern CA to practice...so if you want to do Anesthesia in Southern CA (or anywhere is CA for that matter) there is no better place. Haven't seen Stanford yet but beat the pants off UCSF and UCSD in my mind.

Since then I have been to Stanford...which was a great place, no doubt, as are many of the programs throughout the country, particularly the programs that are considered "Top 20" or "Top 10" or "Top whatever" for that matter. The unifying theme from the programs that I interviewed at was "You will get great training at any program you choose....choose the right place for you." What I, personally, have found is that it is difficult to decide for yourself what is the best program and nearly impossible to have others decide for you. This forum is very helpful and the people on it have been fantastic....exchanging ideas, giving advice...but they will never be able to tell you what is right for you.

That being said: I can give you my "take on UCLA" vs others particularly the east coast programs. If you want to practice in California, particularly Souther California, I think UCLA is the obvious choice. The benefit of having a big east coast name is probably negligable compared to the connections AND the big name that UCLA brings. 75% of the residents stay in Southern Cal and that will be a huge help when you apply for a job. You also have to consider what type of medicine you want to practice. Is your goal to be the chair of a program at a major academic medical center? If it is, a "big name" may open more doors down the line and coming from that big name may give you more freedom to be dean at UAB or UTSW or in the Northeast than if you came from UCLA.

Jubal is 100% correct, the programs on the west are hard hit by financial trouble and being an effecient resident is highlighted more than at other institutions throughout the country. I think the teaching can suffer as a result of this. But without a doubt, every institution suffers from attendings not teaching enough and residents complaining about it. Some places worse than others. I think UCLA is probably middle of the road and that it is getting better, Dr. Wald is fantastic and truly committed to resident education and I think that will show through by the time we get there. Because the Anethesia residents cover so many places and the main hospital is so big, they get stretched thin, but maybe the increase in the number of residents will help out. Also, the 80 hour work week will have some impact but I am not sure what that will be. There are top anesthesiologists at UCLA and you are going to get great teaching, how proactive you have to be to get it remains to be seen.

I know this is long but hopefully some people will find it helpful. Overall I think you will find that UCLA is a top hospital nationally. It is a major referal center for every type of medical and surgical problem and by and large each of their departments is nationally recognized and has nationally recognized experts .....and this includes the anesthesia department. They are buliding the new hospital. The dean is stable. It is in LA. Anesthsia is getting more competative so the applicant pool is better and thus the group you are with will be that much better, (no matter where you go).

(My opinion)For me UCLA was a great fit and I ranked it #1. Out west I think the only competitor was Stanford. The UCSF residents were really unhappy and overworked and the cost of living in SF is astronomical. For me So Cal was better than Nor Cal and so UCLA came out on top over Stanford. Versus the programs out east, I think UCLA is most like MGH with the huge case load and with autonomy and effeciency being stressed perhaps at the cost of teaching. The Brigham is more "friendly" and teaching focused and they are a huge program, even bigger than UCLA so you have a lot of help...and helping each other out is really stressed at the Brigham (which is a great thing, just a different flavor than MGH or UCLA). MGH is where anesthesia began and has a huge tradition and a huge alumni base and is awesome, its just not home and that was why, in the end I chose UCLA....to be back home, near family and friends, AND to get excellent training. I want to practice in California and so that was that.

Sorry to ramble. I hope this helps and I will certainly continue this discussion if need be.

Ca. Dreamin'

hi ccmagic32,

nice to hear back from you. it was fun working with you all back in november. i still remember that day when we all ditched our or duties and went to the cafeteria for lunch after the simulator lab session. good pickup on the pneumothorax (after i shocked the dummy 2 times) . thank you for the nice comment, i think you elaborated too much. i just did what i could do from what was available to me during the last three and half years. one thing for sure, ppl in anesthesia are generally nice and laid-back. this is what makes this speciality unique.

it was nice to be home and enjoy sunshine in NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER. each time when this place snows, i would be saying @#$&* and wish i was in the cali homeland. when i started my interview season, i was very set on cali programs but later on did i changed my mind. good luck in the match, you will get what you wanted.

to ppl who are thinking about anesthesia:
this is an exciting time to join the field after the speciality went through a period of downtime. anesthesia, unlike other specialities, is still researching for better anesthetic agents, shorter acting muscle relaxant, pain mechanism. The field also strikes for better patient monitoring to improve patient safety under anesthesia. At the same time, many programs have realized the importance of availablility of data collection and subsequent analysis for evidence based medicine. This field is dynamic. At the same time, anesthesiologist has evolved its role from the operating room to make presence in other sites in the hospital. To some ppl, i may sound very idealistic but this is what makes this speciality exciting to me and has inspired me to always look forward to my training. so what is the reality of being an anesthesiologist. this field offers an accommodating lifestyle. you work in shift, and you dont have to constantly think about your patients after your shift is over (of course, exceptions do exist). the job market is not yet saturated and the pay is above average. moreover, female is still under-represented in this field. less than 30% anesthesiologists are female, and many programs do realize the importance of gender equality. as many of you can see, i am very happy with my residency choice (as all the ppl in this forum). if you are interested in anesthesiology, go knock on someone's door and tell them that you would want to find out more about this field. take the initiative and show them your interest. if you can be involved with research, it will definitely be a big plus for you. i did my research in cardiology, and it helped me trememdously during my interview trail this season. i wish the best to all who are thinking of applying to this field next year.

good luck to everyone in this forum, thanks for the input. i will be very happy with my top 3 choices. now i am just anxiously waiting everyday until 3/20. i hope i wont go insane before the match day. i already know what i will be doing on the match day....hope i will be seeing some of you in the coming future.