Need ideas....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a kaplan audition tomorrow and I need to make a 5 min. presentation on "how to...." do something or explain a process ....and still have no idea on what :(

anyone has something unique and interesting

Members don't see this ad.

toxin said:
I have a kaplan audition tomorrow and I need to make a 5 min. presentation on "how to...." do something or explain a process ....and still have no idea on what :(

First thing that popped into my head was "how to make a caesar salad."

(as in from scratch with a wooden bowl, garlic cloves, real anchovies etc.)

It would impress, be fun (you could have your interviewer actually do it while you explain), be memorable, and you would have something to eat afterwards.

I would print out a bunch of pictures and show the evolution of Michael Jackson's nose from 1975 through last year.
At least that's what I plan to do. It's science, it's entertainment, and it's scary as hell.
2075264.standard.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
toxin said:

quantum mechanics. They have to hire you. Period

The Kaplan auditions I thought were pretty easy going, I went in wanting to teach MCAT and there was only one other person who also wanted to do MCAT out of the maybe 30 people that were there. Mostly everyone else wanted to do the SATs. I don't think the topic of the audition matters as long as you make it animated and try to TEACH it to the class, no matter how stupid or simple the topic is. One girl taught us "how to have fun in the sun".

RubberDuckie7 said:
The Kaplan auditions I thought were pretty easy going, I went in wanting to teach MCAT and there was only one other person who also wanted to do MCAT out of the maybe 30 people that were there. Mostly everyone else wanted to do the SATs. I don't think the topic of the audition matters as long as you make it animated and try to TEACH it to the class, no matter how stupid or simple the topic is. One girl taught us "how to have fun in the sun".

You are correct! I am a teacher trainer for Kaplan, and I assure you that you are being evaluated on your ability to communicate and entertain -- more than on your topic, per se. Do not teach educational material! You will be taught the "Kaplan way" to teach once you are hired.

Some of the more interesting interviews that I've seen:
How to line dance,
How to make any drink appear to be a martini (just put it in a martini glass),
How to wow your friends with card tricks,
How to entertain yourself in a new city for free,
How to choose professors that will work for your career goals....

Hope this helps!

I did "How alterations in the basic brewing process result in a variety of styles of beer". I think they liked it. ;) Well, they must have, cuz I teach my first class in 2 weeks.

toxin said:

I did mine for PR on "how to ride a motorcycle", other people did things like "how to use a public restroom with out touching any public surface with your hand" and "how to make the ultimate cadillac margarita"; it really doesnt matter what you do as long as you know what you are talking about (at least more than everyone else in the room) and you are confident and personable.

So what did you end up doing?

A.--Having seen your Tulane presentations last year, I know you'll do just fine!
Just remember to "dress professionally" and can those ugly sneakers :p

If you get a chance, PM me or something and let me know how you're doing. I'd love to hear how everyone is doing this year! :)

Down here, things are still a mess. I've been in contact with a few of the professors and should go to campus Wednesday (finally got utilities!).

Take care,

KJ