Need input on my Master's options!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjpbs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to earn my master's degree this fall. I have a few options I'll list in a non-ranked order.

Mercer University - MS Preclinical Sciences (1 year)
University San Francisco - Professional Science Master's in Biotech (2 year)
Nova Southeastern University - MS Marine Bio (2 year)
Florida State University - course-based MS in Biology (2 year)

and I was waitlisted at KCUMB MS Biomed 1 year program.

I'm really having trouble deciding on a program to attend. The first two I listed seem like the best options to me. I don't know if it's better to attend the one-year program or two-year? If I enroll in the one-year program, do I apply this cycle even though they will only know that I am enrolled and will not have any results as far as graduate level grades until academic update come December?

I have applied before, did not receive interviews, and I was told by some adcoms that any master's program in the sciences would strengthen my application. I have read older posts on the one vs. two-year programs and when to apply but they were around 5 years old, and I wanted some newer opinions. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Many private schools hold your app until they see your graduate level grades in December. That's what i'm doing this cycle as well. Submitted my app and will be updating them with my MS marks in December. Ultimately it's up to you if you should apply now or later.

If you do apply this cycle, i'd choose the 1 year MS. This way you'll probably have more credits to show the adcoms by December. Just my opinion anyway.

I would look further into the programs to see how many students get admitted into doctoral programs if the program is geared toward having their students gain admission.... which seems to be Mercer (from website: "
For the Class of 2014, 70% of graduates have been accepted to healthcare degree programs.")

Also, assuming since you did not receive any interviews, I would guess your GPA is fairly low so a 2 year program would be best, especially FSU or Nova. I would look further into the program but if I were you, I would attend Mercer or FSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can give us a bit more info about cost, etc. That helps too.
I have pretty strong opinions with masters programs, given that you'll be applying for a second time to dental school you still have to ask yourself what you're going to do on the chance you don't get in.

Thesis based/traditional masters will be 100000000000x times more marketable in the job market if you don't get in, and will still have loads of upper level science coursework. Not to mention cheaper, if not free. The biotech and preclinical sciences will do nothing for you, career wise, if you don't get into dental or need more time to apply a 3rd time. I would pick the option of those 4 that A) You can get straight A's in B) Will actually give you a chance at a career you'd like if dental doesn't pan out this cycle C) Is something you enjoy.

Plenty of people have had success with SMPs and clinical science masters, but there's also that percentage who still haven't gotten in and have an overpriced, useless masters degree. Just my opinion I'd like to hear others though as well.

The biotech program is a professional science master's program that's created to accelerate a career in the biotech industry. They incorporate various internships into the course along with classes from their MBA program. I can see how the one year preclinical master's program may not offer me and career advantages, but it does have a lot of tough science courses that may look impressive to adcoms.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The biotech program is a professional science master's program that's created to accelerate a career in the biotech industry. They incorporate various internships into the course along with classes from their MBA program. I can see how the one year preclinical master's program may not offer me and career advantages, but it does have a lot of tough science courses that may look impressive to adcoms.

Go for broke.

Does anyone think they would look at where I earned the degree? I think a degree in Bioengineering from Florida Atlantic University would be very interesting to me, and I feel as if it would be a good field for a career if I ever gave up the dream of dental school. An

While SMP may be designed to help you compensate for a poor undergrad GPA for the purpose of applying to a health professions school, like others mentioned, it is still sort of like putting all of your eggs into one basket. If dental school still doesn't work out after doing your masters, what are you going to do?

I would highly recommend a traditional masters if your undergrad GPA isn't that horrible. If they said science, it may not necessarily have to be in the life sciences. One vs two year programs shouldn't really make a difference to dental schools, but if you want to wait until next cycle to apply, you are going to need something productive to do between when you finish your masters and when you matriculate into dental school.

Thank you bwc. I am leaning more towards a two-year program. I feel that showing strong grades for two years would even be better than one year. It would also help with a career or continuing into a doctorate program.