Need insight on potential Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sags2riches

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So, a little background information. I am a Pre-Dental student with a non-Science major. Here is a low down on my Science courses thus far:

Bio 1: C
Bio 1 Lab: A
Bio 2: C
Bio 2 Lab: A
Chem 1: B
Chem 1 Lab: B
Microbiology: B+
Anatomy: A-
Genetics: B
Chem 2 (Summer): W
Chem 2 Lab (Summer): W :(
Calc 1 (Summer): C

As you can tell, Science is quite a struggle for me. But, becoming a Dentist has been my dream for the longest time, so I continue trekking onward. I am a Junior in college right now, and as I said before, my major is not in the Sciences. I transferred a couple times in undergrad, but I am at the same school I started out at which is a top 50 institution. Without the Science pre-requisites I am on track to graduate within the customary 4 years. Right now, I am aiming to add on a 5th year to undergrad so that I can accommodate Physics 1 and Physics 2. If I did not have to take those courses as part of the Dental school pre-reqs then I could graduate next year. But, now I am starting to learn more about Post-Bacc programs, and I wanted some advice to see if it would potentially be suitable for my situation.

My thinking was that it might be better just to finish and be done with undergrad, get a degree and almost start fresh in a sense. Chances are I would have probably had to do some post-undergrad work to bolster my GPA anyways, so why not just graduate in 4 years vs. 5 and get on that grind a little earlier? But, from what I am researching, most general post-bacc programs are for people who need to take all the pre-reqs or they are formal Masters programs intended to bolster people's GPA's who have already taken all the pre-reqs and the DAT.

What is the protocol for someone like me who will be graduating with a non-Science major/ potentially a minor in Chemistry, who still has yet to take Physics 1 and Physics 2. Can I take those two general courses in a post-bacc with other random upper-level Science courses and finish it up that way? Also, what do you guys recommend is the best course of action for this scenario?

Your responses are highly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

So, a little background information. I am a Pre-Dental student with a non-Science major. Here is a low down on my Science courses thus far:

Bio 1: C
Bio 1 Lab: A
Bio 2: C
Bio 2 Lab: A
Chem 1: B
Chem 1 Lab: B
Microbiology: B+
Anatomy: A-
Genetics: B
Chem 2 (Summer): W
Chem 2 Lab (Summer): W :(
Calc 1 (Summer): C

As you can tell, Science is quite a struggle for me. But, becoming a Dentist has been my dream for the longest time, so I continue trekking onward. I am a Junior in college right now, and as I said before, my major is not in the Sciences. I transferred a couple times in undergrad, but I am at the same school I started out at which is a top 50 institution. Without the Science pre-requisites I am on track to graduate within the customary 4 years. Right now, I am aiming to add on a 5th year to undergrad so that I can accommodate Physics 1 and Physics 2. If I did not have to take those courses as part of the Dental school pre-reqs then I could graduate next year. But, now I am starting to learn more about Post-Bacc programs, and I wanted some advice to see if it would potentially be suitable for my situation.

My thinking was that it might be better just to finish and be done with undergrad, get a degree and almost start fresh in a sense. Chances are I would have probably had to do some post-undergrad work to bolster my GPA anyways, so why not just graduate in 4 years vs. 5 and get on that grind a little earlier? But, from what I am researching, most general post-bacc programs are for people who need to take all the pre-reqs or they are formal Masters programs intended to bolster people's GPA's who have already taken all the pre-reqs and the DAT.

What is the protocol for someone like me who will be graduating with a non-Science major/ potentially a minor in Chemistry, who still has yet to take Physics 1 and Physics 2. Can I take those two general courses in a post-bacc with other random upper-level Science courses and finish it up that way? Also, what do you guys recommend is the best course of action for this scenario?

Your responses are highly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Idk if you are stil looking for an answer! But I definitely wouldn’t stay in undergrad full time for another year just for those two courses. I would suggest graduation, followed by enrollment as a non degree seeking student, where you can take the class online if offered by your university or another or just enroll and take that one class on your campus or another. Only pre req I graduated without was Biochem. Moved home and took it at the major university in town and worked full time. Had to pay for the class out of pocket but much more worth the 1200 for one class vs. 5000 for a semesters worth of courses I didn’t need or want.

There are indeed post baccs out there that are more for record enhancers instead of career changers, but i’d keep in mind that a lot of post bacc curriculum will completely repeat some of those pre reqs you’ve already taken, and that would be taken into consideration on your application. An admission committee told me once that it wasnt a good look for me to retake multiple pre-req courses, maybe only few if they didn’t meet minimum requirements, but advise to take upper level science course work to show I can successfully complete a course load comparable to first year dental school.

With that said, after graduation, I did have to retake physics one and two, and chose to do it online through my undergraduate institution in 8 week increments. It was a lot, but i wanted to finish so I could move on in applying to programs.

I chose a masters 1) because i felt that it would best prepare me for the rigors 2) post baccs typically are at an undergraduate level 3) outsid of not wanting to retake all the pre reqs I basically did in undergrad, i maxed out undergraduate financial aid, therefore i would of had to take personal loans to pay for those courses, which was a huge no for me. There are def other turn offs than the ones above i personally had about post baccs.

Of course for masters it is common across the board that you have all pre reqs completed before applying, but not only will it the coursework help you once in dental school, you can use it as a chance to increase your science gpa and show you can handle comparable courseloads once in dental school!

Feel free to message me, if you have extra questions!!
Ive done so much research on post baccs then masters when I was weighing my options.
Everyone’s situation is their own, but everyone works on their own timeline!
Stay encouraged!!

Reactions: 1 user