Need Medical School Application Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchool2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I only need two more courses to graduate so I am looking to apply next June for the 2012 class. However, I'm not sure if I should go do a Master's program or post-bac to strengthen my credentials because I would like to apply to MD schools and I heard they're extremely competitive and do not really like re-applicants. I have a 3.62 right now and that wouldn't change much since I only have 2 more classes to take. But this GPA does not count a very bad first year at another university where something bad happened. The cumulative of that first year would probably drop it down to a 3.3-3.4. I just got my MCAT score back which is 40Q. Anyone can give me some suggestions to whether or not I should apply to a Master's or Post-bac program first to make up for the very low GPA?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I only need two more courses to graduate so I am looking to apply next June for the 2012 class. However, I'm not sure if I should go do a Master's program or post-bac to strengthen my credentials because I would like to apply to MD schools and I heard they're extremely competitive and do not really like re-applicants. I have a 3.62 right now and that wouldn't change much since I only have 2 more classes to take. But this GPA does not count a very bad first year at another university where something bad happened. The cumulative of that first year would probably drop it down to a 3.3-3.4. I just got my MCAT score back which is 40Q. Anyone can give me some suggestions to whether or not I should apply to a Master's or Post-bac program first to make up for the very low GPA?

Thank you!

40Q Really? If this is real I suggest the post-bac. Masters don't count for that much for a lot of schools. However, if the rest of your app is solid, you may have a chance at getting somewhere this year too depending on your state and interview skills.

I'd just apply broadly this year to lots of MD and a few DO schools. If the difference in your academic performance between schools is as stark as it sounds, it shouldn't be too tough to explain away. A 3.3/40 is a serviceable stat combo even without the crap first year bringing things down. Don't spend an extra year on this stuff if you don't have to.

Moving to WAMC.