Need opinions from fellow peers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LunaGalMom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently at odds with myself to even continue my pre-medical education if I do not stand any sort of chance against seriously competetive applicants. This is my current stance:

I am a mother of a one-year old child. Had her after my freshman year of college. Did not even consider becoming a doctor until I had her and fell in love with her and medicine. I am currently attending a private university. I am a double major in Biology and neuroscience.

GPA:
junior status (still have two more years to complete dual BS degree with research emphasis)
biology/neuroscience BS
associates of science

Extra Curriculars:
pre-medical society
DOTS (doctors on the streets)
Medwish
Interdiscipinary Neuroscience society
2+ years of behavioral science lab research

Job:
currently a bartender/server on the weekends
full-time mommy

*still have to take the MCAT*

I feel that I cannot do it because I have 3 'C's in science courses and I am struggling with two of my courses this semester (neuropharmacology and zoology). Any glimpse of hope?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently at odds with myself to even continue my pre-medical education if I do not stand any sort of chance against seriously competetive applicants. This is my current stance:

I am a mother of a one-year old child. Had her after my freshman year of college. Did not even consider becoming a doctor until I had her and fell in love with her and medicine. I am currently attending a private university. I am a double major in Biology and neuroscience.

GPA:
junior status (still have two more years to complete dual BS degree with research emphasis)
biology/neuroscience BS
associates of science

Extra Curriculars:
pre-medical society
DOTS (doctors on the streets)
Medwish
Interdiscipinary Neuroscience society
2+ years of behavioral science lab research

Job:
currently a bartender/server on the weekends
full-time mommy

*still have to take the MCAT*

I feel that I cannot do it because I have 3 'C's in science courses and I am struggling with two of my courses this semester (neuropharmacology and zoology). Any glimpse of hope?

Without an MCAT its hard to give advice. I will say this a 3.2 seems to be the absolute floor for many schools. Anything below then you better be sure to get atleast a 507+ on your mcat (if not more). That is a hard feat, not discrediting you but just saying.

If I may ask, what is the purpose behind the double major? Is one more a concentration? I only way this because if med school is what you want, then I would maybe do the neuroscience since you are involved in the lab.

The other thing, try to get a clinical experience. Having work experience as a bar tender may not be the best option.

If you keep a +3.3, with a 500+ score with some clinical experience. APply abroadly, youll get in somewhere

Without an MCAT its hard to give advice. I will say this a 3.2 seems to be the absolute floor for many schools. Anything below then you better be sure to get atleast a 507+ on your mcat (if not more). That is a hard feat, not discrediting you but just saying.

If I may ask, what is the purpose behind the double major? Is one more a concentration? I only way this because if med school is what you want, then I would maybe do the neuroscience since you are involved in the lab.

The other thing, try to get a clinical experience. Having work experience as a bar tender may not be the best option.

If you keep a +3.3, with a 500+ score with some clinical experience. APply abroadly, youll get in somewhere

My college requires a double major with neuroscience. I will be shadowing an MD in the summer, just don't have the time right now. And I am involved with DOTS (doctors on the streets) which is an organization of students that work with physicians to help and treat homeless people of the Cleveland area. I plan on taking the MCAT next summer. With bartending, I get tons of people interaction and I have a strong rapport with many customers (not that it helps with medical school).

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep the ol' GPA around 3.3+, get a decent MCAT score (505+ preferably), and you'll be fine numbers wise. At that point it's the ECs that will come into play. They will understand being a mother though so if you don't have a list of extensive ECs that's probably ok, just make sure you have a few solid ones.

My college requires a double major with neuroscience. I will be shadowing an MD in the summer, just don't have the time right now. And I am involved with DOTS (doctors on the streets) which is an organization of students that work with physicians to help and treat homeless people of the Cleveland area. I plan on taking the MCAT next summer. With bartending, I get tons of people interaction and I have a strong rapport with many customers (not that it helps with medical school).
It actually will. But, more importantly, it will help you be a good physician if you so choose to pursue this path.

I think you should ditch the duel degrees. Especially if you are 100% dead set on being a doc. No one will care that you got a dual degree but they will care about your gpa. My point is that you should be doing what you can to maximize your gpa and a dual degree ain't helping.

As @AnatomyGrey12 mentioned schools will see you have a small child and put together the fact that you have that plus are in school full time. No need to spread yourself thin. Find something you enjoy, helps others, and is compatible with your life and you'll be fine. I was amazed on my interview trail a few years back at how unfruitful peoples volunteer experiences were. Imo, one service over years to which you can speak of shows volumes more than 10 of which you have no real connection.

Good luck to you. And good luck on the mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing is huge on the application. I had a high GPA (3.9) but low MCAT (500) and got in to a few schools because of my shadowing experience (about 400 hours) and research. It also helps a lot if any of your research has been published although you don't have much control over when/if that happens.

Don't be discouraged tho you definitely have a great shot! There were lots of parents at an accepted students day I just attended so it can definitely be done.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile