This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Do you think I should apply this cycle, or the next?

  • 2017-2018

  • 2018-2019


Results are only viewable after voting.

amlope03

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have been in quite a predicament for the last month about applying to pt school this cycle 2017-2018, or the next cycle 2018-2019.

My current statistics include:
University: University of Louisville
Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Wellness Coaching
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.73 (only including one year of biology/chemistry/anatomy & physiology/physics with labs)
GRE: ~295, 4.0 (I have not taken the actual GRE yet, but will in a few days;however, this was my most recent practice exam score- I am awful at standardized tests)
Extra-Curric: work-study student (have had to work during my "free-time" due to money and priority of achieving good grades)
Volunteer: Louisville Grows and Bernie Sanders Campaign (I plan on volunteering A LOT more during my senior year, but unfortunately, will not be able to include those on the app if I apply this year)
Observation: ~80 hours inpatient (job shadowing), ~80 hours outpatient (job shadowing), ~132 hours outpatient (interning)

I think it is also worth mentioning that I will be doing research with one of my professors this fall, volunteering at least once a month, and getting a job PRNing at the place I am currently interning.

If anyone is willing to give me advice about whether I should apply this year, or wait until next year- I would greatly appreciate it!
 
You have good stats. Bombing the GRE could sabotage you at a fair number of schools if that happens, but there's a good chance you'll get at least an average score, as PT applicants are a low-scoring bunch anyway. If you're worried about that, you can find schools that don't weigh the GRE highly. There are tons. Your hours are good and your extra-curriculars are fine, not that extra-curriculars matter that much.

I'm not sure why you would wait unless there were some personal reason. You are competitive this round.
 
I agree with Skyris. I don't see why you would want to wait because your stats are very competitive. Get a combined score of at least 300 on the GRE and I can almost guarantee you'll get invited to interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apply this year, every year it gets more competitive. Make sure you have multiple places that you have observed at.
 
Definitely apply now. Your GPAs are well above average and are extremely competitive and your GRE is right around average to above average for most schools.