Need quick ear for show-"HOUSE"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I watched the highly rated show "House" on the east coast last night [9PM]

Q-What was the name of the rare pancreatic tumor they discovered in the supposed T.B. patient??

[It was said so fast I couldnt make it out] :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

mjl1717 said:
I watched the highly rated show "House" on the east coast last night [9PM]

Q-What was the name of the rare pancreatic tumor they discovered in the supposed T.B. patient??

[It was said so fast I couldnt make it out] :confused:

astroblastoma

With all due respect, an astroblatoma was not the tumor. that's a type of CNS tumor.

it was a nesidioblastoma. Emedicine has a great article on it last i checked :)

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Well thats the thing oma can be a little confusing: With all due respect.
Are you sure your not thinking of Astrocytoma??? This guy House (In real life the son of a doctor) is too much.

mjl1717 said:
Well thats the thing oma can be a little confusing: With all due respect.
Are you sure your not thinking of Astrocytoma??? This guy House (In real life the son of a doctor) is too much.
astrocytoma and astroblastoma are both cns tumors - astroblastomas are very rare and not much is known about them from what i understand, whereas astrocytoma is a common glioma.

mjl1717 said:
Then briefly : What is a nesidioblastoma? [In reference to pancreatic tissue.
(Dont have my path book with me.)

sounded like astroblastoma.

i just checked robbins

Diffuse islet hyperplasia (the disease formerly known as nesidioblastosis) was the cause.

oh and by the way, i made a mistake, lets try not to be condescending? people just say with all due respect to patronize.

No,no,no, there is nothing personal going on here!

1)That show "House" goes at a pretty rapid pace.
2)Pathologist FREQUENTLY actualy too frequently change the names of tumors. {I believe the words adenomatous hyperplasia could fit in as I piece this together.}
3)From my socialization- I take "with all due respect" to mean being polite, thats all.
4)Its a form of persistent hyperinsulinism and hyoglycemia usually in infancy but can affect adults involving the sulfonylurea receptor.
5)Thank you for the quick response. :)

House is a cool show.

SOmetimes they get their medicine wrong though -- for example they had a lady who had Wilson's which they originally suspected was alcoholic liver disease-- "who would want to transplant an alcoholic?" -- acutally EtOH is the second major cause of people getting liver transplants!!! Plus with Wilson's she would have no problem getting on the list. They also implied her liver cancer would prevent her getting transplanted which is absolutely not true (pubmed-- Mazzaferro et al., Yao et. al) -- although it's tempting to think so, cause usually cancer is a contraindication. In the case of liver dz. you have to know what kind and how advanced the cancer is first.

I liked the way they showed how she had an esophageal bleed though. That was some scary stuff :)

mjl1717 said:
No,no,no, there is nothing personal going on here!

1)That show "House" goes at a pretty rapid pace.
2)Pathologist FREQUENTLY actualy too frequently change the names of tumors. {I believe the words adenomatous hyperplasia could fit in as I piece this together.}
3)From my socialization- I take "with all due respect" to mean being polite, thats all.
4)Its a form of persistent hyperinsulinism and hyoglycemia usually in infancy but can affect adults involving the sulfonylurea receptor.
5)Thank you for the quick response. :)

Personally, I was just glad I could recognize "Splenic artery: take a hard left at the celiac." Maybe that makes me an underachiever :p