Need quick review of drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this combination is really high on the DEA's radar, and also the radar of some payer's organizations. You really want to do your due diligence (contacting all prescribers, if they differ, and checking PMPs, plus ensuring there is a legitimate patient-provider relationship) if you see this combo as you can likely get the pants sued off you if there really isn't a great reason for it.

http://www.wci360.com/news/article/deadly-drug-combinations-escaping-notice-a-healthesystems-report

Also check out the NABP's "Red Flags" video. It's cheesy, but maybe helpful:

I don't think this is fair at all. Prescribers know it is a dangerous combination but by prescribing them together, they must know the benefits outweigh the risk. I believe my job is to counsel the patient, not to get the prescribers to change the . combination.

What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this is fair at all. Prescribers know it is a dangerous combination but by prescribing them together, they must know the benefits outweigh the risk. I believe my job is to counsel the patient, not to get the prescribers to change the . combination.

What is your opinion?
As the past president of the TX pain society is quoted in that article above as feeling these medications have no legit reason to be used together, I am skeptical. I believe my job goes beyond just counseling-- and determining if something is a legit and safe script is part of that job.

What is your opinion?

2 things...

1) an individual prescriber may not be aware that its a dangerous combination. Just because they should know, doesn't mean they do.

2) prescribers have went to jail for "selling" prescriptions, just because a prescription is written by a prescriber, doesn't make it a legitimate prescription.

3) prescribers are human and make mistakes like all of us.

So yes, it is the pharmacists job to question certain combinations of medications.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 things...

1) an individual prescriber may not be aware that its a dangerous combination. Just because they should know, doesn't mean they do.

2) prescribers have went to jail for "selling" prescriptions, just because a prescription is written by a prescriber, doesn't make it a legitimate prescription.

3) prescribers are human and make mistakes like all of us.

So yes, it is the pharmacists job to question certain combinations of medications.

If I counseled the patient about the risk of respiratory depression and he tells me he knows or his physician has already discussed it with him, then should a pharmacist call the physician and discuss it further? What if the patient had an opioid withdrawal while waiting for me to speak with his physician?

For mistakes? Only the one off the top of my head.

But plenty of pharmacists go to jail for anything from diluting meds to theft.

what is the worst sentence a pharmacist ever got? life in prison?

Yeah but I don't think that was exactly pharmacy related.

That's why I said that they get punished all the time, just not exactly for filling mistakes and what not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but I don't think that was exactly pharmacy related.

check out new england compounding center. i think the PIC tried to avoid prosecution by going to Hong Kong but he got caught.

check out new england compounding center. i think the PIC tried to avoid prosecution by going to Hong Kong but he got caught.

That is amazing. This guy is going to spend the rest of his life in prison

Can someone recommend an app with easy to understand treatment guidelines?

Can someone recommend an app with easy to understand treatment guidelines?

In case you are interested, I have been using AgileMD. Highly recommend this app.

Any good pharmacy podcast? Love to listen to them while driving to work

I would but he's not a pharmacist!
Not yet. All he has to do is enroll in pre-reqs and score C's and he'll have no trouble getting into California Northstate and Chapman.

He'll be the only one paying 250K tuition with CASH like a boss.

Does anyone listen to Joe Rogan? He hosted a reality show about stupid people doing and eating stupid things for money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone listen to Joe Rogan? He hosted a reality show about stupid people doing and eating stupid things for money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Was that Fear Factor. I think it was on the air 10 years ago. He also used to be in a great but under-appreciated sitcom called Newsradio (alongside the phenomenal Phil Hartman).

Last edited:
How do you get free subscription to Lexicomp app?

Anybody know where I can find a short summary of 2017 DM guidelines compared to 2016?

this combination is really high on the DEA's radar, and also the radar of some payer's organizations. You really want to do your due diligence (contacting all prescribers, if they differ, and checking PMPs, plus ensuring there is a legitimate patient-provider relationship) if you see this combo as you can likely get the pants sued off you if there really isn't a great reason for it.

http://www.wci360.com/news/article/deadly-drug-combinations-escaping-notice-a-healthesystems-report

Also check out the NABP's "Red Flags" video. It's cheesy, but maybe helpful:

I have been looking for this video forever

Unfortunately I have graduated. Is there a sale period?

check around the holidays or beginning of the year. Doesn't your work place have a drug reference subscription?

anybody have a summary of hospital drugs? where can I find a list of top hospital drugs?

I also need this but can't seem to find it by using google. Does anyone have this list?

where do I find the most updated lab values?