Need quick review of drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You get nice things from the military! How long did you serve? They are paying for your tuition?

It is nice... but they probably get a steep discount and it doesn't make up the pay difference between military and civilian pharmacy. Still in school, 2nd year of HSCP, commission this Summer w/ 3 year commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get an internship at a hospital . What is a good study guide to hospital drugs?

Question: what is the blood pressure goal of someone who has diabetes? i have been hearing 130/90, 140/90 and 150/90.
That is a fantastic question. Check out JNC 8...hot off the press!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a fantastic question. Check out JNC 8...hot off the press!

I read it last night! Seems like they increasing the bp goal to 140/90. What about the goal from the American diabetes association?

Reactions: 1 user
It is nice... but they probably get a steep discount and it doesn't make up the pay difference between military and civilian pharmacy. Still in school, 2nd year of HSCP, commission this Summer w/ 3 year commitment.

Do they pay for 4 years of tuition for the 3 year commitment?

There were new guidelines that came out last January (2013) in Diabetes Care: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/Supplement_1/S11.full

Definitely check these out. I'm not certain if JNC 8 will supercede these goals, but I think they are somewhat similar.

According to JNC-8, therapy is initiated in anyone <60 with a BP of >140/90 OR any diabetic/pt with kidney failure when BP >140/90, regardless of age. The goal is then <140/90 NOT <130/80 as previously recommended in diabetic/kidney failure patients.

Reactions: 1 users
No. Benefit is only received during final two years (P3-P4 for traditional programs, P5-P6 for 0-6 programs) for a 3 year commitment.

wow that's good....how is the pay tho? it is comparable?

According to JNC-8, therapy is initiated in anyone <60 with a BP of >140/90 OR any diabetic/pt with kidney failure when BP >140/90, regardless of age. The goal is then <140/90 NOT <130/80 as previously recommended in diabetic/kidney failure patients.

makes me wonder if the ADA will have the same goal as >140/90 this year? i think it is in the 2013 guidelines but what about the 2014 guidelines?

Besides pharmacist letter is there another similar monthly reference?

How often do they change the guidelines? Do we learn new guidelines every year?

Members don't see this ad :)
How often do they change the guidelines? Do we learn new guidelines every year?

Guidelines get changed when new data comes out/is found, and when a panel can be convened to discuss the literature and come up with a consensus.

Here is a history of the JNC guidelines.

• JNC 8: published 2014
  • JNC 7: published 2003
  • JNC 6: published 1997
  • JNC 5: published 1992
  • JNC 4: published 1988
  • JNC 3: published 1984
  • JNC 2: published 1980
  • JNC 1: published 1976
As you can see, it varies; no set scheduled release. We've been waiting for these new guidelines for a long time.

i started working in a pharmacy this week as a clerk. Anybody know where i can provide info on sulfa allergy? Much thanks!

i started working in a pharmacy this week as a clerk. Anybody know where i can provide info on sulfa allergy? Much thanks!

Provide this info to the pharmacist by putting it in the patient's profile, and provide it to the patient in the form of the medication handout.

here is a question: what is the acetaminophen max in an elderly person? one pharmacist told me it is 3 grams per day, another told me it is 4 grams

here is a question: what is the acetaminophen max in an elderly person? one pharmacist told me it is 3 grams per day, another told me it is 4 grams

4 g for healthy person. 3 g for those who are at risk for kidney problems

I'd say the elderly, heavy drinkers (>3 drinks per day) and those with liver problems should stick to 3g.

here's another question: if you are allergic to amoxicillin, what is the chance of you being allergic to keflex?

Just thought I'd add the current disease specific guidelines: KDIGO lists the general bp goal for the population with CKD as 140/90 but differentiates patients with microalbumuneria. In the population with urine albumin >30, they have a goal bp of 130/80. Also, the ADA's guidelines call for a bp goal of 140/80 for the general population with diabetes and 130/80 in younger healthier populations.

Reactions: 1 users
This was quite a while ago, but the podcast was relaunched under a new name (HelixTalk) and we just published a new episode covering JNC 8 and some of the differences with other guidelines (ASH/ISH, ESC, ADA, etc). The new podcast is freely available at http://helixtalk.com or directly in iTunes. Enjoy!

Your guideline is really good! Ever thought about having a podcast dedicated to just guidelines?

Your guideline is really good! Ever thought about having a podcast dedicated to just guidelines?

Probably not -- we're really interested in keeping the content scope broad enough that we can keep things interesting. When the podcast was first launched, it was intended to only discuss the top 200 drugs, but we found that we want to expand to other topics (guidelines, hot topics, news, professionalism, residency, etc).

I like that podcast, but the 1 minute intro before starting is kind of much.

Probably not -- we're really interested in keeping the content scope broad enough that we can keep things interesting. When the podcast was first launched, it was intended to only discuss the top 200 drugs, but we found that we want to expand to other topics (guidelines, hot topics, news, professionalism, residency, etc).

Just wondering if your top 200 drugs list has been updated recently? I am using another list and it is different from yours. Thank you!

Going back to the original topic.. are the pharmacy charts on eBay better or RxPrep for a quick review? Thanks so much!

i heard soma is now a schedule II in some midwest state?

does anyone know where i can get free access to lexicomp?

does anyone know if when is the new asthma guideline is coming out? ATP IV?

the best review is not a list from some random websites or youtube, its your store's computer. cvs allows u to print a report of the top drugs sold at "your" store. the ppl who will ask u questions are usually ppl who go there. n the drugs they'll ask u is in that report.

the best review is not a list from some random websites or youtube, its your store's computer. cvs allows u to print a report of the top drugs sold at "your" store. the ppl who will ask u questions are usually ppl who go there. n the drugs they'll ask u is in that report.

i agree with you but there is so much information and sometimes i wonder what is practical and what is not.

One of the efficient ways to learn specific animal drugs formula and improve professional skill is to view websites and particular webpages of world famous veterinary drug R&D companies, like Bayer, Zoetis, etc.

does anyone have a list of medications that should not be crushed? I don't mean ER, CR meds. I mean medications that are not controlled release but they should not be crushed like Protonix

it is considered as schedule IV or II? I know my state considered it as schedule IV

It is a schedule 4 in IL, I can't imagine it would be a schedule 2 in any state. :heckyeah: I have absolutely no idea what I was trying to say in my previous post in this thread.

It is a schedule 4 in IL, I can't imagine it would be a schedule 2 in any state. :heckyeah: I have absolutely no idea what I was trying to say in my previous post in this thread.

Yeah, Soma is also C4 in my state. I know NY is strict. I wonder if it is C2 over there?

Yeah, is Soma even addicting?

So I have been hearing some pharmacists are being sued for dispensing a muscle relaxant, benzo and an opioid together. I know they can cause respiratory depression but this 3 drug combo is not contraindicated right? They can be taken together as long as the patient is being monitored right?

So I have been hearing some pharmacists are being sued for dispensing a muscle relaxant, benzo and an opioid together. I know they can cause respiratory depression but this 3 drug combo is not contraindicated right? They can be taken together as long as the patient is being monitored right?

Anybody know?

You can be sued for anything, there are a lot of variables as to whether the pharmacist would win or lose in such a case. Yes, its important to make sure they are all being prescribed by the same doctor (or that all the doctors involved know about all the other drugs the patient takes), this is helpful but won't 100% protect you in a lawsuit.

this combination is really high on the DEA's radar, and also the radar of some payer's organizations. You really want to do your due diligence (contacting all prescribers, if they differ, and checking PMPs, plus ensuring there is a legitimate patient-provider relationship) if you see this combo as you can likely get the pants sued off you if there really isn't a great reason for it.

http://www.wci360.com/news/article/deadly-drug-combinations-escaping-notice-a-healthesystems-report

Also check out the NABP's "Red Flags" video. It's cheesy, but maybe helpful:

Reactions: 1 user