Need re-app advice (MD/DO) Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebur4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some positive advice here! Current stats are 3.9 Gpa 3.75 Science Gpa, 490 MCAT. Good EC, currently going back to school for pre-req for PA program.

I have applied to MD schools twice, but only in the state of Texas where I'm from. At that I've only applied to two or three. I've gotten no luck from anyone.

My question is, should I attempt the MCAT one more time to try and break that 500 mark? What do you guys think about DO schools. I honestly don't have much info on what schools are best to apply to MD/DO as a URM. Any advice would help! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to retake your MCAT. You won't make the cutoff anywhere (DO or MD) with a 490.

Looking for some positive advice here! Current stats are 3.9 Gpa 3.75 Science Gpa, 490 MCAT. Good EC, currently going back to school for pre-req for PA program.

I have applied to MD schools twice, but only in the state of Texas where I'm from. At that I've only applied to two or three. I've gotten no luck from anyone.

My question is, should I attempt the MCAT one more time to try and break that 500 mark? What do you guys think about DO schools. I honestly don't have much info on what schools are best to apply to MD/DO as a URM. Any advice would help! Thanks guys!
Your GPA is excellent, put some serious effort towards a good MCAT score and you should have many MD and DO schools to choose from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude. You are gold if you can get a 510 or higher. Plus, to be honest you need to be able to learn how to do well on standardized tests now since that is what looking good for residency is all about.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude. You are gold if you can get a 510 or higher. Plus, to be honest you need to be able to learn how to do well on standardized tests now since that is what looking good for residency is all about.

Honestly, I would even argue a 505 or higher would give them many options with that GPA as an URM.