Need some advice for incoming OMS2...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dagrimsta1

Current Representation of PGY-3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m smarting second year soon and I want some advice on how to start studying for boards. Assume I just found out what USMLE is and COMLEX. I just need some guidance on what to use during M2 and for dedicated. I’m trying to make a schedule but am having trouble putting it together.

I don’t use ANKI and I hate flash cards. Not opposed to index cards though.
I have pathoma, sketchy, and first aid 2018. Never used any of them.
I am planning on getting Uworld later.

Some background info, B- student throughout and am not doing any summer prep (working 2 jobs to make ends meet).

Members don't see this ad.

So I’m smarting second year soon and I want some advice on how to start studying for boards. Assume I just found out what USMLE is and COMLEX. I just need some guidance on what to use during M2 and for dedicated. I’m trying to make a schedule but am having trouble putting it together.

I don’t use ANKI and I hate flash cards. Not opposed to index cards though.
I have pathoma, sketchy, and first aid 2018. Never used any of them.
I am planning on getting Uworld later.

Some background info, B- student throughout and am not doing any summer prep (working 2 jobs to make ends meet).
I typically advise my kids to start around Xmas vacation. Start with material you're rustiest on (like, from OMSI)
Don't forget COMBANK!

Reactions: 1 user
I hate flash cards too. If anyone tries to shove them into you, ignore them because it works for them, not you. It’s never too early to start solidifying the important stuff. I would use Pathoma along with each course. Annotate and really learn the material in there, regardless of what’s being presented in lecture. Get really familiar with sketchy and use it along with lectures so you’ve got each image stuck in your head by the time board prep really hits around January. That will save you a lot of work, knowing sketchy already.

I don’t know if you should jump into UWorld too soon because you need background first, imo, to make good use of that.

Reactions: 1 user