Need some Advice/motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ab_kaka8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just need some advice and possibly an extra push. I usually get good grades without studying much and it allows me to be lazy when I do have to study. I'm in my third semester in college and my gpa is 3.4. I received a B in Gen Chem 1, mainly because I broke my foot while playing college soccer and had to take off for a couple of weeks (laziness also played a role as it was my first science class). I turned it around by getting a A in Gen Chem 2. I wanted advice on whether I'm screwed or not with my gpa and that B. Also, I don't know when to start volunteer and research. And how can I not be lazy?!

Members don't see this ad.

1)A B won't "screw" you but you definitely want to bring your GPA up
2)Get involved in volunteering and research ASAP
3)Just stop being lazy

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I just need some advice and possibly an extra push. I usually get good grades without studying much and it allows me to be lazy when I do have to study. I'm in my third semester in college and my gpa is 3.4. I received a B in Gen Chem 1, mainly because I broke my foot while playing college soccer and had to take off for a couple of weeks (laziness also played a role as it was my first science class). I turned it around by getting a A in Gen Chem 2. I wanted advice on whether I'm screwed or not with my gpa and that B. Also, I don't know when to start volunteer and research. And how can I not be lazy?!

Here's your motivation for not being lazy- that will not fly in medical school. I'm only in graduate school and I've never had to study this much in all four years of undergrad *combined*. Skating by may allow you to get into medical school, but you will die on your first test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's your motivation for not being lazy- that will not fly in medical school. I'm only in graduate school and I've never had to study this much in all four years of undergrad *combined*. Skating by may allow you to get into medical school, but you will die on your first test.
So if I start being really serious this upcoming semester, it wouldn't be too late?

I would say it's never too late to get serious (well, it is when you fail a class). In your position, this early on, I would say definitely get serious starting this Christmas break. Find a place to volunteer or shadow or even work. Don't waste your break by farting around and being "lazy". I don't know what coursework you have coming up, but that mindset may not cut it.

:scared:

So if I start being really serious this upcoming semester, it wouldn't be too late?
If you want to be successful in medical school, the days of not being serious have to be behind you. You may be at the top of your class right now, easily floating through, getting A's without studying, but think about- so is everyone else that is trying to get into med school. You need to stand out from the pack- use the break to slap yourself in the face and start doing what you need to do *now*.

emilym, I'm in a SMP at a medical school, essentially taking the first year of medical school classes. The difficulty of the material isn't the issue- its the sheer volume. If you buckle down and focus, no worries. ;)