I'm currently 38 and in my 3rd year at an MD program so I don't think it's necessarily an impediment. It slightly depends on the school; Harvard, for example, prizes tons of research, etc that you wouldn't necessarily have the opportunity to get. It's not an issue of age as much as your non-trad-ness. I would look on the various school forums here and possibly the MSAR to see which MD schools are non-trad/older friendly.
As for your path back, I don't think an official masters is necessary. It's pretty likely that you're going to need a subject refresh at a minimum and some schools may consider your pre-reqs out of date. Since you have such a good GPA, you could easily do a non-degree seeking DIY post-bacc. There's some debate on community college (CC) vs. 4 year and how med schools view them, but obviously the most important aspects to consider are your time, availability, and cost. If a master's program is what you want to do, it certainly won't hurt you, but there'd be no need to do an SMP.
LORs are going to come hand in hand with whatever program you do. I got very good LORs from my CC professors and the general SMP letter (I had to do both because my undergrad grades were poo). But you'll have to do some sort of courses program (DIY or structured) to get those letters.