Need some advice to where to start.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChewyDrop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Junior year has ended for me and I am planning to spend my entire summer studying for the DAT. I was going to start studying for BIO, but I am not sure where to even begin. I have cliffsAP BIO 3rd edition textbook, should I just dive into the first section? Take notes, and convert those notes into flashcards? I was wondering if I could add someone on Skype and chat with them.

Members don't see this ad.

I would read Cliff's AP 3rd Edition get the generalized idea, make flowcharts, notes, that help you UNDERSTAND the material. Then read Feralis (for more details), and then DAT Destroyer Questions (some big ideas are repeated in different questions, repetition helps!!).

Oh, and if you have time do a chapter a day, and focus on gen chem and orgo. (little by little helps)

Unfortunately for myself, I did three chapters a day, and then 100Q of DAT Destroyer. Thats just because of my test date. lol

I would read Cliff's AP 3rd Edition get the generalized idea, make flowcharts, notes, that help you UNDERSTAND the material. Then read Feralis (for more details), and then DAT Destroyer Questions (some big ideas are repeated in different questions, repetition helps!!).

Oh, and if you have time do a chapter a day, and focus on gen chem and orgo. (little by little helps)

Unfortunately for myself, I did three chapters a day, and then 100Q of DAT Destroyer. Thats just because of my test date. lol
I see that ALOT of people make flashcards, what do you think about this?

I only made flashcards of what I got wrong on DAT. too time consuming for bio portion. Oh some of the solutions tell you to memorize certain facts I made note cards of those too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
PM me if you'd like to chat about DAT advice. I can do gchat (Google) or Skype call. I'm on the west coast.

Don't make flashcards imo, WAY too time consuming. Start with Cliff's and make notes on things that aren't 2nd nature to you.

Then, start Destroyer. Make similar notes as you did for Cliff's so you have every thing in one document. This is where you really learn. Read EVERYTHING in each question and answer.

Start qvault bio and do 2 bootcamp exams. Qvault is awesome- review your saved questions daily.

By this point you want to be doing full lengths for each section (bootcamp 3-5 and ADA 2007 + 2009 exams). Making your own notes for bio is key to success on this section.

Don't make flashcards imo, WAY too time consuming. Start with Cliff's and make notes on things that aren't 2nd nature to you.

Then, start Destroyer. Make similar notes as you did for Cliff's so you have every thing in one document. This is where you really learn. Read EVERYTHING in each question and answer.

Start qvault bio and do 2 bootcamp exams. Qvault is awesome- review your saved questions daily.

By this point you want to be doing full lengths for each section (bootcamp 3-5 and ADA 2007 + 2009 exams). Making your own notes for bio is key to success on this section.
Should I be studying linearly? Or study bio a couple of hours and then something else?