Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalalala987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this cycle to DO schools and I wanted to retake a class at CC. I had gotten a C in microbiology and lab and it was the quarter that I was trying computer science. I currently have a 3.36 science GPA . I have read several forums on grade replacement and that as long as the retake class has more units covered, it would "replace" the old grade.

The problem is that I took this class at a university that uses the quarter system. So the microbiology and micro lab added up to 8 units. This would translate into 5.33 semester units. Microbiology course offered at all CC are worth 5 semester units. Does the 0.33 matter?

I would appreciate any input/suggestions. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What's your cumulative GPA and MCAT?

I don't actually know the answer to your question. What is preventing you from retaking the class+lab at the original institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mcat 26
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.36

Retaking the class + lab at the original institution costs almost 3,000+

I actually called AACOMAS twice today. First person said that it will only replace the lecture. Second person said that he can't answer the question because AACOMAS is changing their policies for this coming cycle. Does that mean they are removing the grade replacement policy?

I need to figure it out soon because the class is filling up. ;aldkfja;ldskfja;sdfa

worse comes to serve and you can't retake it, then know then your current gpa's are ok for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Objectively speaking, no mainly because a 26 sits within reasonable range of all DO averages but also seeing your first attempt was that low you may have hit your peak. I think a better use of your time is to remediate your GPA and any other flaws that may exist in your application (shadowing/volunteering/clinical exposure).

The only thing I would worry about (and an answer I don't know myself) is if any DO schools average MCAT scores. I don't think any do, but might want to check as that would leave you with a 24 and would really hurt your chances at those particular schools.

What experiences/EC's do you have in your application as of now?

The average mcat is constantly increasing and so is the gpa of accepted students. If I was you I would defiantly retake as many classes to better my gpa

It wouldn't replace. The MOST RECENT attempt has to be greater than or equal to 5 units.

5.00 < 5.33

Also, I do believe that some scores screen for MCAT subsection scores below 7? If I recall correctly. Whatever you decide, good luck.

The average mcat is constantly increasing and so is the gpa of accepted students. If I was you I would defiantly retake as many classes to better my gpa

Avg MCAT for 2014 was 26.26. He's spot on the median. Averages won't sky rocket in one year.

Source: http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2011-14-AProfRpt.pdf?sfvrsn=16

EDITED for accuracy:

When considering matriculants the median MCAT for 2013 was 27, I couldn't find 2014 in the 30 seconds I researched, this is likely [.2 or so?] higher this year.

Source: http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2013-COM-AMProfile.pdf?sfvrsn=22

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
EC include:

1 year medical scribe
350 hours of volunteering at hospital
1 year ochem peer tutoring
1 year ochem peer tutoring coordinator
2 years of research (did a poster presentation and received excellence in research)
Dragonboat for 3 years
went on one medical mission

@MedNation907

and @Dr.Jekyll75 Thanks for the advice! I will be retaking 2 courses for a better grade this summer.

ya no problem if i could give you one more word of advise stick to DO schools and avoid ones with state bias if you are an oos. Apply very broadly

1 year medical scribe
350 hours of volunteering at hospital
1 year ochem peer tutoring
1 year ochem peer tutoring coordinator
2 years of research (did a poster presentation and received excellence in research)
Dragonboat for 3 years
went on one medical mission

These are all really good. I think with these EC's you definitely have a chance of gaining an acceptance somewhere.

1. What is 'Dragonboat'?
2. Did you scribe in the ER?
3. Have you shadowed a DO and have a LOR from one?
4. Where is your state of residence?

1.) dragonboat is a sport haha Here is a link: http://www.laracingdragons.org/ I raced with a collegiate team.
2.) I am scribing for a urogynecologist !
3.) Currently shadowing a DO (who is also a urogynecologist) but have not asked for a LOR. How do you ask a physician that you just shadow?
4.) CA

@MedNation907

Okay dragonboat looks awesome, I would have loved to do that during UG. ADCOMs will probably appreciate that, as it may not be a common EC? (idk I'm not from the West Coast) but they will also appreciate your work as a scribe. I worked in FM and interviewers always commented on how rare it is, I guess the majority of scribes work in the ER. So they will value the intimacy your position allows, versus working in the ER.

Currently shadowing a DO (who is also a urogynecologist) but have not asked for a LOR. How do you ask a physician that you just shadow?

I honestly just flat-out asked after maybe 12 hours of shadowing. I also offered to send her some background about myself to help her write it which I highly recommend doing. Also, I'd get the doc you're scribing for to write you a letter.