Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking here for awhile now taking in the information posted, but now I could really use some specific advice. I was recently accepted into a dental hygiene program at a four year university. I had planned to get my B.S. in dental hygiene while taking the pre-dental courses on the side. I figured this way I could get into the dental field, have interesting classes such as head and neck anatomy, and if I was not able to get in to dental school I could work as a hygienist part time making decent money until I applied again. Seemed to make perfect sense at the time, however, I am starting to worry. I hear the dental hygiene program is pretty intense, and the faculty seem bent on grading very harshly. They insist that you do not even work while in the program, etc, etc. This is going to make it very difficult to take my required pre-dental courses and feels like I am wasting time by playing it so safe. In the end it could hurt my chances. It's a fairly competitive program and I am even amazed I was accepted, which makes it harder to even think about declining at this point. I am already set to move in two weeks to attend, but I wonder if I should switch to a major in biology instead. I think I would like dentistry much more than dental hygiene, but I have never done either so it is hard to make these kind of presumptions. I'm stressed... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be a hygienist...go to hygiene school.
If you want to be a dentist...go to dental school.

In my opinion, hygiene school IS very intense and difficult to maintain high enough grades to go directly to D-school. It can be done, but depending on your school, it could be nearly impossible to pursue a double agenda (dental pre-reqs) during hygiene school. Best of luck to you... in my opinion, you should figure out really soon what you want to do...hygiene...or dentistry. My wife says that hygiene school was really intense...It's not like those hygienists are worried about specialization either...just serious students.

Best of Luck!

Yeah i would try go get into d school. If u fail once do something else....don't blow ur grades away and re apply