need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochopefull

Head of the Illuminati
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am going into my 3rd year of undergrad schooling (i estimate ill be there for a 5th year to complete my B.S.) and I allready know I will have to take some kind of postbac program to help me get into medical school, but i was hoping someone could help me to determine what kind of program i need to take....

My stats:

Gpa to date: 2.1 (freshman year killed me due to family tragedy)
Major: I am a psych major (swtiched from bio) but I am still pre-med and am looking to re-do all my pre med requirements to show that I am capable of taking those courses and succeeding.
MCAT: waiting until i have prepared myself with those undergrad courses before thinking about that.

My ultimate goal is to get my gpa to a 3.0 or higher and kill the MCATs when its time for them...but i'm just taking it one step at a time.

I hope this helps to assess what I need to do. Thanks again for all the help!!

D

Members don't see this ad.

dochopefull said:
Hey guys!

I am going into my 3rd year of undergrad schooling (i estimate ill be there for a 5th year to complete my B.S.) and I allready know I will have to take some kind of postbac program to help me get into medical school, but i was hoping someone could help me to determine what kind of program i need to take....

My stats:

Gpa to date: 2.1 (freshman year killed me due to family tragedy)
Major: I am a psych major (swtiched from bio) but I am still pre-med and am looking to re-do all my pre med requirements to show that I am capable of taking those courses and succeeding.
MCAT: waiting until i have prepared myself with those undergrad courses before thinking about that.

My ultimate goal is to get my gpa to a 3.0 or higher and kill the MCATs when its time for them...but i'm just taking it one step at a time.

I hope this helps to assess what I need to do. Thanks again for all the help!!

D

Sorry this is unhelpful, but..

Giggidy-giggidy-giggidy-giggidy!

heh...heh...ohh-riggghhht

Anyone else??

D

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no need to fear! jintonic5 is here! *trumpets blaring* ahem, anyways...

you said that freshman year killed your gpa-- how bout soph and junior year? how did you do then? if you are kicking ass right now, that will change what your options are.

if you are still struggling in school, you need to really sit down and think hard about what your problem is... is it emotional? lack of motivation? taking too many classes at once? partying to hard? once you identify that problem, fix it. get counseling/advising, get tested for learning disorders that have started to really rear their ugly heads in college, stop going out with the fellas on wed nite for happy hour, etc etc etc... if you know you are in it for the long haul, wait until you are ready to tackle your pre-med requirements, and when you're ready, dive in. don't end up like me-- i kept trying to redo my premed reqs and ended up digging myself deeper into a big nasty hole.

in terms of post bacc classes, you have a lot of options, which will change and develop depending on money, previous coursework, etc. if you are looking to do a graduate level program, there are special masters programs geared towards students who want to go to medical school and need to strengthen their academic records. BU, Drexel, Gtown, just to name the biggies. you could go for a masters in bio/other related depts that is more traditional, but you may end up doing more research than difficult science classes that you will need to show adcoms. if you want to work on your undergrad gpa, a lot of people enter official post bacc programs, or just take classes at their state universities. I am doing upper level sciences at my state university right now, and it's working out pretty well.

check out the forum, look at the FAQs, and g'luck!