need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Im a current student at UT-austin and i really don't know if i should still pursue premed. My gpa is 2.4 and i received a D in my chem and bio class, and i'm kinda wondering if i should still pursue this. I scared that my my gpa will be to low to be accepted into med school. Any advice? please

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you? I would recommend that you retake the classes you got a D in. I'm not sure what the rule is there but at my school if you do that before you recieved 45 credits they get rid of the old grade. These are important subjects that will show up on the mcat so you need to mkae sure you understand them. Figure out why you were recieving these grades. Were you attending all your classes, going to review sessions, metting with professors? My first quater in college I recived a 2.53, suprisingly I wasn' that bothered by it. 2 quarters ago I got my first D, it was in my second o chem. I want to be a doctor so bad nothing can relaly stop me. I retook the class and got an A-, and I'm doing great in my next organic. If the doctor thing is seomthing you've always wanted, work as hard as you can and go for it. You can take classes overagain, take some cake classes to bring up your gpa and work super hard on your mcat and who knows. Good luck! :D

Hi
What was your major in college?
thanks for the advice i think i might continue to try

Members don't see this ad :)
My major is psychology.

i'm going to be a junior this year and i have to retake my chem and bio because D is not acceptable. should i still pursue pre-med? does it matter how long i will be in school for or do i have to start taking the mcat my third year?

Definantly RETAKE the classes with the lowest grades in science...it will be the fastest way to improve your gpa. I was bummed too with my GPA but decided to take 6 more classes post bac to improve it.
I am taking three science classes over and three new ones during this fall/spring. If I score all A's it will raise my GPA .6 on aacomas. The most recent retake of the class will only be counted towards your GPA on aacomas. AAMCAS takes an average of both grades I believe. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this)

GOOD LUCK!

hawee said:
i'm going to be a junior this year and i have to retake my chem and bio because D is not acceptable. should i still pursue pre-med? does it matter how long i will be in school for or do i have to start taking the mcat my third year?

honestly it doesn't matter. a fifth year is common now. I would take them, work hard, if they are fresh in your mind you will do well on the mcat too. I find classes super easy when retaking them, I've noticed a similar trend among others as well.

Hey, i definately wouldn't give up if this is what you really want. I graduated college with a 2.23 gpa, worked in a hospital for a few years, and I'm now in the BU GMS program and doing really well. I'm applying for next year. Point being, if you really want to go to med school, a bad college experience isn't the end of the world. It'll be more difficult and may take longer than you planned, but it's not impossible. Good luck.

thanks for the advice guy, i really needed that boost of confidence....anyone know of how i can get a job position at a hospital i really want to see how the enviroment is