Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

up&atom

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should i apply to medical school or do i even have a chance?

During my first to years of college my gpa was 3.0. But during this time one of my grandmother was battling cancer. I spent most of time with, taking care of her: chemo appointments, doctor visits, shopping, cooking, etc. Now a couple years later i have transfered from a commuinty college to loyola university of chicago and my gpa is 3.56, i have plenty of extra activities. mcat is 30. Do you think i make a good applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

yes ur gpa is great ,ur mcat proves u are a capable student and u have clinical experience, with good ECs, LORs, u should be able to get into some good schools, good luck

Go for it .... schools look at upward trends - and your later GPA and MCAT are within the national avg.

Also, you will probably have a chance to explain your circumstances in the secondary or during the interview.

So, definitely .... Go For It!!

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definately apply. As others have said, schools look at upward trends, and it also seems as if you have a valid reason why your grades suffered during your first two years of undergrad.

Don't let your grades stop you from obtaining your dream of becoming a doctor!:D

:) I would like to thank all of you for the postive comments. I hope your lives are full of joy and success.

Yep, you're good to go! Now just get that AMCAS in early, apply to a healthy range of schools, write some good essays and you'll be golden :)

Good luck! :D

Of course, I'm assuming you don't have less than an 8 in any section...

apply apply apply! i think you've got a chance, especially if you submit your AMCAS super-early.

side note: i love your screen name. i'm a sucker for puns. :D

Originally posted by up&atom
Should i apply to medical school or do i even have a chance?

During my first to years of college my gpa was 3.0. But during this time one of my grandmother was battling cancer. I spent most of time with, taking care of her: chemo appointments, doctor visits, shopping, cooking, etc. Now a couple years later i have transfered from a commuinty college to loyola university of chicago and my gpa is 3.56, i have plenty of extra activities. mcat is 30. Do you think i make a good applicant.

Absolutely and without a doubt... apply!

seems like a solid app to me, pretty smiilar to mine and i thought i had a decent shot so go for it! man these posts are growing on me i think.. i dont get that intense anger anymore!