Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serge23

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got accepted to SUNY Downstate, but in thier letter they said that I have to reply in two weeks with a $100.00 deposit. So am I obliged to pay the $100 and accpet their offer even though I want to wait ande hear from other schools? Im not exactly sure to do...Please help

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools are strongly encouraged by AMCAS not to require deposits until after May 15. However, you'll still come across a couple of non-compliant ones that do.

Call them on Monday and ask if you can hold off on the deposit until May 15, for two reasons: 1) you still have other applications pending, and 2) because of financial hardship (you're broke from applying/interviewing, they'll understand that).

They may still require the deposit, in which case you should ask if it's refundable up to a certain date. You definitely don't want to give up your only acceptance at this point because of $100, but there's a chance you'll be able to get it back because of a later acceptance. (They'll either send back your check since they never cashed it, or write you a new check.)

Standard procedure for you is to accept the spot and send the $100. It's fine for you to accept and hold multiple acceptances until May 15. If you make a decision on or before May 15th, most schools will refund your $100 deposit if you later decide not to attend. Congrats on your acceptance by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for your help....I wil call them on Monday and ask....

I wish you the best!!

Originally posted by po' boy
Most schools are strongly encouraged by AMCAS not to require deposits until after May 15. However, you'll still come across a couple of non-compliant ones that do.
No, what AMCAS specifies is that deposits be REFUNDABLE until May 15th, which is the date by which you're supposed to have settled on a school. With the possible exception of non-AMCAS and DO schools, you definitely have to shell out $$$ to hold your spot, but you'll get the money back if you withdraw before May 15.

And Serge, congratulations on your acceptance!

From the AAMC site:

It is recommended that the acceptance deposit not exceed $100 and be refundable until May 15. After that date, a school may retain the deposit as a late withdrawal fee. If the applicant matriculates at the school, the school is encouraged to credit the deposit toward tuition.

(this does not really apply for EDP, obviously)

I just thought I'd bump this post since I needed the info today. I received my letter of acceptance from NJMS today and it said I had to give them a $100 deposit within 2 weeks. Just like the OP, I wondered if they were trying to secure my matriculation with $100. So, now I'm relieved to know that I'm not locked into anything and can still accept other offers if they arise.