need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - this year is going to be my fourth time applying to dental school and I'm in need of some serious advice. The previous years I applied I had a 3.2 GPA and 20AA20TS18PAT. This round I improved to a 3.35 by taking post-bac classes. I never did a masters program. My DAT score is from 2006 so this is probably the last year I can use them as well. I had 2 interviews last year and I thought they were okay but I got rejected from both. I don't know what the cause may be for the rejection. Is it unheard of to get rejected based on letters of rec or anything associated with the application? My belief was that the interview makes or breaks you - I might be wrong here.

What do you all suggest, my DAT is slightly lower than "good" so should I retake that? Take more classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT scores are actually pretty good, definitely not lower than average. A little bit higher would be nice, in order to compensate for the GPA that is on the lower-average side, but that probably isn't what is keeping you out. How does the rest of your application look? Community service, research, dental field experience, extracurriculars, LORs (do you think they were strong?), and personal statement? Those factors can have a huge impact on whether a borderline candidate like yourself will get in. Ask an advisor which areas of your application look weak, and then work on bringing those sections up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest you retake the DAT since yours is a couple of years old now, and IMO I think schools would like to see a more recent score. Have you contacted the schools you were rejected from? They might be willing to give you some suggestions for improving your app.

Actually it is interesting. My brother applied three years. On his second year one of the admissions officers finally told him that he had one LOR he should continue removing and replacing because it pretty much stated that he would NOT be a could candidate for dental school. Why in the world a professor would write you a bad recommendation instead of declining is beyond me, but it happened. Good luck! I am also a third year applicant who got in. It can happen with perseverance.

Actually it is interesting. My brother applied three years. On his second year one of the admissions officers finally told him that he had one LOR he should continue removing and replacing because it pretty much stated that he would NOT be a could candidate for dental school. Why in the world a professor would write you a bad recommendation instead of declining is beyond me, but it happened. Good luck! I am also a third year applicant who got in. It can happen with perseverance.

Wow. That professor really doesn't want him to get in!

Wow. That professor really doesn't want him to get in!

Now I'm a little scared. I bugged one of my prof a little to send out LOR quickly. :scared:

Hi all - this year is going to be my fourth time applying to dental school and I'm in need of some serious advice. The previous years I applied I had a 3.2 GPA and 20AA20TS18PAT. This round I improved to a 3.35 by taking post-bac classes. I never did a masters program. My DAT score is from 2006 so this is probably the last year I can use them as well. I had 2 interviews last year and I thought they were okay but I got rejected from both. I don't know what the cause may be for the rejection. Is it unheard of to get rejected based on letters of rec or anything associated with the application? My belief was that the interview makes or breaks you - I might be wrong here.

What do you all suggest, my DAT is slightly lower than "good" so should I retake that? Take more classes?

Hey I'm in the same boat as you. This is my fourth time applying. I have a 3.6 GPA and my DAT retakes from 2006 are 19AA/21TS/18PAT. I also live in a state that only has private dental schools. Its kinda hard to figure out what any of these dental schools want. I guess updating LOR's might help? The advice that I have gotten from adcomms was to take some masters classes and reapply. Good luck...hopefully fourth times a charm!

THAT IS REALLY SCARY!!!! :eek: I would really like to think that there aren't people like that in this world. Oh my!!!

I do hope you get in for next year, but if for some reason you don't, I really suggest you get into a science based masters program. It also goes without saying that if there is any room to improve your application do so.

Last edited: