Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuannguyen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next year 2009 will be my first year in college, and i need some advice from all of you. I want to get into a dental school after my first 4 years of college and i dont know where to start. my question is: should i go straight to a school that offered pre-dent program and take my core and all the courses that are required by dental school? or should i go to a college that doesn't offer pre-dent program and take all my core classes and then transfer to a college that offered pre-dent program to complete all the classes that are required by dental school? because the nearest pre-dent school is 3 hours away from my house and i dont really want to get away from my family. I dont know where to start and i hope that i'll get some advice from you guys.Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-dent programs are nice, but you don't need them to get into dental school. You just have to take the classes that the schools require, regardless of where you attend (keep in mind that most schools require most of your pre-reqs to be done at a 4 yr university). Short answer, stay close to home if you want to and don't worry about having to transfer. The ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools will tell you what all the different dental schools require.

PreDental programs are not necessary at all. I don't even understand why pre-dental programs exist? When you graduate from college what is your degree in? PreDental? Thats nothing.

I would say definitely do not go a school for a predental program. Go to a 4 year school make good grades and get a degree in something that you can do something with in case you need something to fall back on. Get a degree in Biology, Chemistry, or whatever it is that you like. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a biology major/chemistry minor or vice versa would be best. I'm a biology major and chemistry minor and it allows me to take all my prereqs and I'm taking more upper level biology & chem. classes that will help me in dental school.

Try merging the two into one major: Biochemistry. Most predent requirements would probably be covered