need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianr86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I need some serious advice, Im applying to dental school. I applied to quite a few, I believe 17 because of my poor GPA and DAT.

So I applied relatively late, mid Sept 09. I've had 2 interviews. I am on the "To be called list" at USLD. I interviewed their Jan 19 2010 and was placed on that list on the 20th of Jan.

I am incredibly stressed out about this waiting game. Anyways I will reapply if I don't get in this year. My main question is should I retake the DAT? Here are my scores:

AA 19, PAT 19, QR 15, RC 18, Bio 20, GC 19, Ochem 22, Total Sci 21.

I honestly think I might be able to do a bit better but just depends on the test.

My GPA is TRASH. 3.3 overall and 3.1 sci. I applied with a B.S. Now I'm just taking some random classes that I think would help in dental school.

Any suggestions on what I should do for next year? Does applying early really help? What could I do about the GPA, just get 4.0 from now on?

Members don't see this ad.

Any suggestions on what I should do for next year?

take easy classes, boost your GPA, get more ECs/shadowing, retake DAT and get that QR up.

Does applying early really help?
no, every adcom just says that because they want to f*ck with your head.

What could I do about the GPA, just get 4.0 from now on?
does this question really need to be asked?

it seems like you walked into the admissions process not really knowing how things work. You're probably going to have to reapply this summer so... apply early, get your GPA and DAT up, get some better LOR, and apply broadly.

best of luck

Your stats seem average and definitely competative for an interview. The thing nowaday is that much more people are applying to dental school. If you don't apply early you better have an amazing gpa/dat score. So my advice would be to do well in the classes you are taking now, do something community service related that "wows" admissions, retake the DAT and apply early!!! Even though I know you are probably dreading retaking the DAT, it is best to be safe than sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I need some serious advice, Im applying to dental school. I applied to quite a few, I believe 17 because of my poor GPA and DAT.

So I applied relatively late, mid Sept 09. I've had 2 interviews. I am on the "To be called list" at USLD. I interviewed their Jan 19 2010 and was placed on that list on the 20th of Jan.

I am incredibly stressed out about this waiting game. Anyways I will reapply if I don't get in this year. My main question is should I retake the DAT? Here are my scores:

I honestly think I might be able to do a bit better but just depends on the test.

My GPA is TRASH. 3.3 overall and 3.1 sci. I applied with a B.S. Now I'm just taking some random classes that I think would help in dental school.

Any suggestions on what I should do for next year? Does applying early really help? What could I do about the GPA, just get 4.0 from now on?

I would say to apply earlier, it wont hurt you. Idk about the dat...the total sci is good, but RC at 18 is ... something that I think can be improved. I dont have that great of a GPA (3.42) or DAT (20), and I applied relatively late (didnt take DAT until Sept 29), and b/c of that I only got 1 interview, but luckily did good enough during that to get in w/o being waitlisted..

So sign up for the DAT, study for it now, submit your APP on June 3, and finish the DAT by mid July.

IF what the above poster said is true (and that timing doesnt matter), why did I get notified by schools that they liked me/stats but they just didnt have any physical space (or space on the waitlist) for me, and that I should re-apply earlier next year?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to retake the DAT, but I guess I should. I could easily get the RC up. I didn't do any studying for that. As for the QR I might be able to squeeze out a point or two. That section is just pure bull****. I'd rather just have calc on the test.

I'm really hoping I get called up from that list though. I tried calling the school to see if they could give me any info on it, such as how many people where on the list, where I was, and they gave me nothing.

Think there will be much movement of students with multiple acceptances from now until July 1?

I know students can pay to hold their spot after the 45 day window, but is their a certain date in which students with multiple acceptances must commit to 1 school?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to retake the DAT, but I guess I should. I could easily get the RC up. I didn't do any studying for that. As for the QR I might be able to squeeze out a point or two. That section is just pure bull****. I'd rather just have calc on the test.

I'm really hoping I get called up from that list though. I tried calling the school to see if they could give me any info on it, such as how many people where on the list, where I was, and they gave me nothing.

Think there will be much movement of students with multiple acceptances from now until July 1?

I know students can pay to hold their spot after the 45 day window, but is their a certain date in which students with multiple acceptances must commit to 1 school?

May 1st is the day where schools can see which students are holding multiple acceptances so basically that is the day when students holding multiple spots commit to one school.

Hey,

Im in a very similar situation .
Waitlisted at USC, UNLV, and MWU.
I applied early in June to 18 schools
GPA 3.4o, 3.3s
AA 19, TS 20, PAT 19, BIO 18, OC 19, GC 22, RC 22, QR 15

Im going to reapply also, but probably going to do a one years masters during this next year to improve my app.

]in a very similar situation .
Waitlisted at USC, UNLV, and M Im WU.
GPA 3.4o, 3.3s

Im going to reapply also, but probably going to do a one years masters during this next year to improve my app.[/QUOTE]

Are you retaking the DAT, or reapplying with the same scores?

lol what?

Actually that's very accurate! The OP is above the curve on the TS and right on average for PAT and AA. His GPA's are just a tenth low or so. This is according to the ADEA for 2007 enrollees. There may be newer data out there to suggest different, but hang in there OP, I got in with lower scores in everything.

12345a, don't kid yourself...

OP, a 15 in QR isn't that bad! If I were you, I wouldn't risk taking the ENTIRE exam over to possibly better your QR score. You already had an interview, so you are doing something right...

Work on some EC's you can try to better your GPA, but by the time you actually have a substantive increase in GPA it will more than likely be too late for this next cycle.

My usual disclaimer is to NOT listen to random people (myself included) on the internet, but rather call the schools themselves!

In closing, you have to remember that folks on here tend to claim higher than average stats and possible tout the fact that they are smarter than they actually are, it has brought me down for the last 5 years and it was clearly untrue...look at the ADEA info, you might be shocked at what you find. I'm sure Doctoothache has some info up here on this subject as well.

Good luck and keep calling that school to let them know you are persistent! Most importantly, don't give up!

Thanks LNinlove,

I appreciate the positive feedback. I don't really want to risk retaking the DAT. From stats I looked up, it seems like most people go down in score.

Im hoping that a 4.0 will make some difference this semester. We will see. I was able to seek some counseling from Arthur A Dugoni in Jan through some connections ( I definitely felt privileged to meet the biggest name in dentistry) He told me to get a 4.0 taking 15 credits of upper division science courses, which I am doing. Im on track for the 4.0. I hope it pays off in the next cycle. I really regret not working harder in easy classes.

I could really use some EC activities. Got to get on that after this semester.

Since schools can find out if their students are holding multiple acceptances after May 1, it seems like their would be some movement in the rosters. Is this accurate thinking?

Actually that's very accurate! The OP is above the curve on the TS and right on average for PAT and AA. His GPA's are just a tenth low or so. This is according to the ADEA for 2007 enrollees. There may be newer data out there to suggest different, but hang in there OP, I got in with lower scores in everything.

12345a, don't kid yourself...

OP, a 15 in QR isn't that bad! If I were you, I wouldn't risk taking the ENTIRE exam over to possibly better your QR score. You already had an interview, so you are doing something right...

Work on some EC's you can try to better your GPA, but by the time you actually have a substantive increase in GPA it will more than likely be too late for this next cycle.

My usual disclaimer is to NOT listen to random people (myself included) on the internet, but rather call the schools themselves!

In closing, you have to remember that folks on here tend to claim higher than average stats and possible tout the fact that they are smarter than they actually are, it has brought me down for the last 5 years and it was clearly untrue...look at the ADEA info, you might be shocked at what you find. I'm sure Doctoothache has some info up here on this subject as well.

Good luck and keep calling that school to let them know you are persistent! Most importantly, don't give up!

I agree that calling the schools and finding out what would make him/her a better applicant is a better choice than asking people on the internet but you've got to be joking if you think that an applicant w/ a 15 QR and a 3.1 sGPA are "average" and "competitive". Sure his oGPA and AA arebelow average and average respectively, but the application isn't read by looking just at the oGPA and AA. Those 2 huge holes are the issues stopping the OP from getting accepted. They applied to 17 schools, it's not unlikely that 2 schools would invite them for an interview (and not accept them). The goal is to get accepted to dental school not to get an interview by applying Xteen number of schools.

Also, why should the OP not take the DAT again? he feels like he can get his RC and QR scores up which would only help his application

anyway, since calling the schools seems to be a no-go, why don't you send a letter of intent to the schools that you're waitlisted at?

I was able to seek some counseling from Arthur A Dugoni in Jan through some connections ( I definitely felt privileged to meet the biggest name in dentistry) He told me to get a 4.0 taking 15 credits of upper division science courses, which I am doing. Im on track for the 4.0. I hope it pays off in the next cycle. I really regret not working harder in easy classes.

I could really use some EC activities. Got to get on that after this semester.

aww what...did you get a picture w/ him?

Last edited:
Also, why should the OP not take the DAT again? he feels like he can get his RC and QR scores up which would only help his application

Why risk it? No need to stress the DAT again if you can bring up the QR by a point or two? I don't know what the OP could do on the QR section on the second attempt, but you need to maintain or improve every other section as well...my cost benefit analysis says not prudent. If other sections were grossly lacking, then I would say yes. QR is looked at the least out of any of the subjects.

If you want to get in to Harvard (for example), then yes, retake the DAT and bring your GPA up.

Possibly the OP needs to work on their interviewing skills? Not trying to be rude but to get two interviews, they must have liked what they saw on paper, and contrary to popular belief, it's NOT all about DAT and GPA. EC's are very important as are, LOR's and life experience. A 4.0 and 25's will not make up for a lack of personality.

brian, you should be proud of the DAT scores that you got. That's not an easy exam my man, don't sell yourself short and don't give up!

Why risk it? No need to stress the DAT again if you can bring up the QR by a point or two? I don't know what the OP could do on the QR section on the second attempt, but you need to maintain or improve every other section as well...my cost benefit analysis says not prudent. If other sections were grossly lacking, then I would say yes. QR is looked at the least out of any of the subjects.

I guess I see your point but I though since the OP said that he could bring it up (as well as his RC), it wouldn't be much of an issue. I suppose some solid research and some different/stronger LORs would help his cause as well.

]in a very similar situation .
Waitlisted at USC, UNLV, and M Im WU.
GPA 3.4o, 3.3s

Im going to reapply also, but probably going to do a one years masters during this next year to improve my app.

Are you retaking the DAT, or reapplying with the same scores?[/QUOTE]

Im going to reapply with the same scores...but to a more different selection of schools, and while completing a masters.