need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuvi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone
i'm in my third year of college. i just transferred into rutgers (newark) after finishing 42 credits in my previous college. This is my second semester here and i am picking up my pace but because i took two semsters off (got married:love: ) i've had to work harder. I did horrible in high school but i maintained a 2.5 gpa in my previous college. I am doing much better in this college now. My question to you all is, when is the right time to take your DAT? I've planned on taking it around august/september this year but i'm not sure if that is right. Also, when is the last date to fill out an application for dental school. I have heard that you have to do it one year before you graduate but i'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

you dont want to wait till the last date to apply.
if you are serious about dental school, you should apply in May/June. It is tough to do so when you are married cos otherwise, i would suggest you use ur summer time to study and take the DAT around August. You have to pull your GPA a lot higher though.

I have several questions for you.
Why dentistry?
How could you manage time with family and education?

i'm only 21, and i don't have any children yet, so i have plenty of time to study. My husbands going to start his residency(Med student) soon so he helps me out alot. I work with my mother who is a dentist and that's where i found my future to be. i have only completed 55 credits yet and have to finish 69 more. So i have a while to go, i don't think i have to apply so early do i?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

What ecdoesit means is that during an application cycle, you want to apply in June.

For example, if you are looking to get into dental school for September 2006, you should apply in June 2005.

And yes, taking your DAT in August is a good idea. It gives you an entire summer to concentrate and study for it.

Oh... Also make sure you are starting to accumulate letters of recommendations from your instructors.

HTH!

Originally posted by UBTom
Hi,

Oh... Also make sure you are starting to accumulate letters of recommendations from your instructors.

HTH!

UBTom, do you know how long are those letters good for? Is it better to get them ASAP so your professor at least vaguely remembers who you are or wait until you are about to apply so they are more current? For example, I will apply this May/June should I get them now or wait until April or so. I already have the OK from my professors but not sure when I should actually have them write them up.

Since you're applying for the next cycle, definitely start accumulating the LORs now. Some professors are so busy, it'll literally take them months to finish your LOR.

Also, the material isn't going to change between now and April. The majority of the LORs are really generic, and unless the writer actually personalizes them immensely I feel they're simply there to fullfil a pre-req set by the dental school. It seems like the biggest factor regarding LORs is who they come from (i.e. Dept. Head, Dentist, Famous Prof, etc.), not the content. However, this is only what I've experienced, both in dental admissions and work experience.

to Accidental:

Get them ASAP.

What you want to do is see if your college has a pre-professional advising office. You ask the preprofessional office to open a file for your letters, and have all your instructors send the LORs to them directly. Then when you apply to dental school, the preprofessional office will make copies and send them to the schools you are applying to.

to all other prospective applicants/current college students: Go to your school's preprofessional office NOW if you haven't done so already. By all rights this should have been done in your freshman year so you can start accumulating LORs then.

HTH.

I should be ok since I only started my prereqs last spring. I shouldn't have any problem getting them soon as I've already been told by a few of my professors they will give me one- just a matter of getting a file started.

Yes, ASU does have pre-health profession advising that am sure will start a file for me. I've been there once and they explained none of this to me - so thanks for the help.