Need some EPPP support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Almost exam ready!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the group and just wanted to connect with you all. I finished my post-Doc hours back in 2012 and have been a full time mom to my growing family since then. It is a joy but has necessitated my taking a break from EPPP prep. I am feeling ready to start prep work for the exam (again!) and would love to hear from some of you with anything you'd like to share - support, study tips (esp for busy moms of toddlers!!;), refresh on the process, your own experience, advice, or anything else. Maybe we can offer support to each other as we go through this process. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a little one when I studied for the EPPP. I can't stress enough the importance of asking your partner for dedicated blocks of time to study. Don't try to just "fit it in." I began studying about 3 months in advance, though I was more dedicated/consistent in the month leading up to the test. Since a lot of the material is not that relevant to what you were doing as an intern or postdoc, you are probably at less of a disadvantage than you'd think. However, you may need to brush up more on research design and stats since those will be less fresh in your mind.

You can do a board search for general EPPP prep advice, but for me the formula was used study guides, flash cards, and multiple online practice tests. There is a Yahoo group where you can sometimes find used test prep materials: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/eppp_prep/info

Good luck! :)

Hey there! I just passed the EPPP, and I just want to note that I took notes as I read Psychprep materials (I need to write things down to remember), took a few full length practice tests in between sections, and listened to audio material that reinforced what I was reading. About 85 hours into studying all of the sections, I felt pretty prepared. Having said that, one of my colleagues simply read the material, took the practice quizzes from Psychprep, and passed as well. She probably put in the same hours. Both of us are more recent graduates, however.

What everyone told me, and felt accurate, was that beyond "studying," practice tests or quizzes are KEY. They won't necessarily look similar to the actual EPPP, but they'll challenge your recall and recognition of all sections.

If finances aren't an issue, you might try audio mp3s if you are chasing after little ones and have to run around a lot! Psychprep has a package that includes full downloadable mp3s plus quiz questions online to review each section.

Here's a place to get some practice questions: http://www.modernpsychologist.com/temporarily-free-250-eppp-retired-questions/

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a little one when I studied for the EPPP. I can't stress enough the importance of asking your partner for dedicated blocks of time to study. Don't try to just "fit it in." I began studying about 3 months in advance, though I was more dedicated/consistent in the month leading up to the test. Since a lot of the material is not that relevant to what you were doing as an intern or postdoc, you are probably at less of a disadvantage than you'd think. However, you may need to brush up more on research design and stats since those will be less fresh in your mind.

You can do a board search for general EPPP prep advice, but for me the formula was used study guides, flash cards, and multiple online practice tests. There is a Yahoo group where you can sometimes find used test prep materials: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/eppp_prep/info

Good luck! :)
thanks for the link to the group!

Thanks to the MamaPhD for the link (and also to foreverbull for the PsychPrep binder and link!)...
I have three little ones at home and I know that I need to plan for several hours of studying per week. It's nice to know others are in similar boats! :)

Hey there! I just passed the EPPP, and I just want to note that I took notes as I read Psychprep materials (I need to write things down to remember), took a few full length practice tests in between sections, and listened to audio material that reinforced what I was reading. About 85 hours into studying all of the sections, I felt pretty prepared. Having said that, one of my colleagues simply read the material, took the practice quizzes from Psychprep, and passed as well. She probably put in the same hours. Both of us are more recent graduates, however.

What everyone told me, and felt accurate, was that beyond "studying," practice tests or quizzes are KEY. They won't necessarily look similar to the actual EPPP, but they'll challenge your recall and recognition of all sections.

If finances aren't an issue, you might try audio mp3s if you are chasing after little ones and have to run around a lot! Psychprep has a package that includes full downloadable mp3s plus quiz questions online to review each section.

Here's a place to get some practice questions: (Temporarily) Free 250 EPPP Retired Questions – Modern Psychologist

Best of luck!
Didn't the guy who runs that website get banned from here?

thanks for the link to the group!

If anyone has a psychprep binder collecting dust, I would love to take it off their hands!

I also have 2 kids under the age of 4. Thanks for the advice!

Yikes! Nevermind about the Yahoo group, I guess!

Wiley81 -- I have identical twin dudes who are 3 and an 8 year old daughter...and I'm working FT...studying for and passing this test is going to be a miracle.

Yikes! Nevermind about the Yahoo group, I guess!

Wiley81 -- I have identical twin dudes who are 3 and an 8 year old daughter...and I'm working FT...studying for and passing this test is going to be a miracle.

You have my utmost respect. Wow.

I would do 50 questions of a practice test at a time. Stretched it out so I only bought the basic thing from asppb. Coded the content of what I got wrong and only studied that. I didn't study for especially long and passed. I think a lot of people study for it inefficiently (e.g. Review stuff they do fine on on the tests).

I would do 50 questions of a practice test at a time. Stretched it out so I only bought the basic thing from asppb. Coded the content of what I got wrong and only studied that. I didn't study for especially long and passed. I think a lot of people study for it inefficiently (e.g. Review stuff they do fine on on the tests).

This times infinity.

I had a brilliant research methods instructor that consistently made the point that we have research to support what is most effective for many aspects of life, but much of it is used very little. It really makes me sad when psychologists can't apply the basic research on effective learning strategies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a brilliant research methods instructor that consistently made the point that we have research to support what is most effective for many aspects of life, but much of it is used very little. It really makes me sad when psychologists can't apply the basic research on effective learning strategies.

True to some extent, but there is huge variation in learning styles and strategies. Some people need lots of repetition, some people can look through material the day before and ace the test. At this point, people have been through a ton of testing, they should know what works for them. This isn't a hard test, just go with what has worked for you in the past.

True to some extent, but there is huge variation in learning styles and strategies. Some people need lots of repetition, some people can look through material the day before and ace the test. At this point, people have been through a ton of testing, they should know what works for them. This isn't a hard test, just go with what has worked for you in the past.
I'm just thinking that someone who is in the last step of the process to become licensed should be able to choose from among the various evidence supported strategies and implement them to their benefit as well as understand the role that anxiety is playing in this process and be able to mitigate that.
Or maybe my expectations are too high. :D

I'm just thinking that someone who is in the last step of the process to become licensed should be able to choose from among the various evidence supported strategies and implement them to their benefit as well as understand the role that anxiety is playing in this process and be able to mitigate that.
Or maybe my expectations are too high. :D
I'd have to imagine that they should have a pretty good idea of what strategies work and what do not if they came from a high performing background, or had any kind of high stakes testing in grad school (e.g., comps).

When were you in my class? ;)

When were you in my class? ;)
lol I know it wasn't you, but glad you are pushing the same message. When I taught research methods, I stole a lot of his material and perspectives
Ha! I also taught Research Methods. But, I don't imagine any of my former students would recall me fondly, I was kind of a hard a--
I was a bit of a hard a-- too, but the ones who wanted to learn loved it. The rest? I didn't lose any sleep over it and I am pretty sure that you don't get too broken up over it either. :D

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the group and just wanted to connect with you all. I finished my post-Doc hours back in 2012 and have been a full time mom to my growing family since then. It is a joy but has necessitated my taking a break from EPPP prep. I am feeling ready to start prep work for the exam (again!) and would love to hear from some of you with anything you'd like to share - support, study tips (esp for busy moms of toddlers!!;), refresh on the process, your own experience, advice, or anything else. Maybe we can offer support to each other as we go through this process. Thanks in advance!!
Hi are you still interested in finding a study partner?

Rather than reviving multiple old threads by people who have not logged in in months, or years; it would probably be better to PM those people, or just create one new thread of your own.
C'mon, necromancers need study help, too.

C'mon, necromancers need study help, too.

upload_2017-6-6_13-49-26.jpeg

You make a great therapist. So much empathy. Not very funny you must of had a lot of complexes or been poor.
You got me, I'm a complete and utter sociopath, as evidenced by harmless jokes about necromancers.

We can't all have such great empathy for the "poor" or people with "complexes."

Hi are you still interested in finding a study partner?
Hi there! I'm looking for a study partner/group. Let me know if you are interested. I'm in the Ventura County area, but I'm willing to drive further or meet half way.